The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Sage Fly Rods

I love my Sage rods. I have 5 of them. But relatively speaking, I'm new to the game of premium fly rods. I fished St. Croix Imperial, Avid, Premier rods and before that some rods I don't even remember the names of... I still have those old St. Croix rods except my old 9 ft. 5/6 wt. 2 pc. that my nephew has now. I don't fish 'em... but I don't part with them.

I have no interest in the Sage One (well maybe a little). I have too much invested in recent Sage rods. But I do have interest in older Sage rods. The problem is, I'm having a heck of a time researching them - the LL series, which I believe had the Graphite II and III blanks, RPL, SLT, SP, RPLX. There are a ton. Does anyone know a resource for information on these older rods and blanks? What the difference was between Graphite II, III, IIIe, and such.

I love my Z-Axis Rods - they suit me in certain situations. I have a 6 wt. XP that I've not fished yet (my first foray into "older" Sage rods but relatively young when you go back to the late 80's early 90's sticks). I have fished my buddy's 3 wt. XP - awesome stick. But my favorite Sage rod is my 8 1/2 ft. ZXL. A dream. This leads me to believe, based on my research, that I might love fishing the SLT series and I'm considering a 490-4 SLT when I need the extra 6" but don't want to go to a Z-Axis. I'm thinking about searching for a 3 wt' LL series to fish when I don't want to throw my 8'8" Loop Opti Creek outfit but do I want a LL with the Graphite II or III...

It's hard to buy a rod without throwing one, but I enjoy the hunt and learning about gear as well. So if anyone has any direction where I can dig through old reviews to get opinions, I'm all ears

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Sage Fly Rods

BFC Fly Fishing

[/COLOR]Fly Angler's OnLine "Build Your Own Graphite Rod"

last paragraph talks about graphite modulus.

Last edited by kayo; 12-19-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good source.

Sage Fly Rods

When the LL series was discontinued, Sage continued to produce it as the VPS Light. The RPL was disconitnued and produced as the VPS.

I owned both RPL's and LL's including the Sage RPL 590-4 and the Sage LL 389.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Hey Mike, let me know if you don't like the 6wt XP.
For the water here, and our style, it is my favorite ever.
I will try and wait patiently till they make something as good.
I think the 99 was a first step in that direction.
They have figured out that indy style isn't best served with a dry fly type presentation.

Jim
Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Hey Mike, let me know if you don't like the 6wt XP.
For the water here, and our style, it is my favorite ever.
I will try and wait patiently till they make something as good.
I think the 99 was a first step in that direction.
They have figured out that indy style isn't best served with a dry fly type presentation.

Jim
Ah, Jim. I was on the hunt for a 6 wt. for a while. I'm hoping that I found it

Sage has a new "European Nymph" rod out now... I've not seen one live yet.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Now that your search is over, I hope it's true love.
The XP was too stiff for most folks flinging a dry fly. Which I think is why they discontinued it. Maybe losing dryfly market to Winston....
(The Z-axis is too soft a tip for indy, for my taste.)
Changing my stroke, made the XP work fine for me on dries. But mostly to me, it's an indy/streamer rod.

I have fished the Grey's rods, for the euro thing.
Called the Sage rep to see what's up along those lines...?
I'll let you know.

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-19-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,
I owned a 490-3 SP several years ago. It was my go to dry fly rod at the time. After being discontinued for a few years, I got a call from the shop. A guy said that he had to have one. I ended up selling it for some shop credit. I tried fishing a 490-4 SLT, but it did not have the wow factor to justify buying one. I heard that there was a new rod coming from Sage, so I decided to waited until the ZXL came out. I am glad that I waited.

What I like about the ZXL over the SLT in the 9 foot 4 weight configuration is that the ZXL has a lighter and crisper feel which matched my tempo better. I feel everything with that rod in every step of the cast. When I made my first cast, everything just felt right from the feel of the grip to the load in the rod.

Dennis
Old 12-19-2011, 01:57 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

post deleted
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Mike,
What I like about the ZXL over the SLT in the 9 foot 4 weight configuration is that the ZXL has a lighter and crisper feel which matched my tempo better. I feel everything with that rod in every step of the cast. When I made my first cast, everything just felt right from the feel of the grip to the load in the rod.
Dennis
YEAH MAN!!! My ZXL 4wt casts like a wire-guided missile. In windy conditions, I can make corrections just before the fly lands. Excellent rod, and I would be content fishing a ZXL for the rest of my life.