The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Preventing rod eyes from freezing

Any cheap and cheerful secrets to prevent rod eyes from freezing.
Its not that annoying when it happens, but if you're fishing a nice pool of fish you can see and trying to get the perfect cast but the line is not flying out, thats when i ticks me off.
I've tried the standard shop bought stuff, but i think its a gimmick (Read - doesn't work well)....anyone got any other tips.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Preventing rod eyes from freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Any cheap and cheerful secrets to prevent rod eyes from freezing.
Its not that annoying when it happens, but if you're fishing a nice pool of fish you can see and trying to get the perfect cast but the line is not flying out, thats when i ticks me off.
I've tried the standard shop bought stuff, but i think its a gimmick (Read - doesn't work well)....anyone got any other tips.
Fish when the temp is above 32º?
Or buy a Tenkara rod.

I've used Stanley's Ice off paste. But, it depends on the air temp. When is just freezing a little, break off the ice by hand or put your rod in the water to melt the ice. When it gets cold enough to freeze when your stripping in, it's no fun anymore.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

There is another thread going on this topic now also - must be that time of year....

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
There is another thread going on this topic now also - must be that time of year....

d
Thanks for the link. i guess a simple search i might have found it.
Son of a gun it is then...

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Fish when the temp is above 32º?
Or buy a Tenkara rod.

Funny stuff
Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

no problem, wasn't being a smart @, just sometimes if there are two threads going, one of them gets ignored and people think we don't like them anymore - rarely the case on this site

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM

johnjac is on a distinguished road

PAM cooking spray on my line has never let me down!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM

RE: PAM SPRAY - Are the fish attracted to the butter flavor or do you use unscented?