The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM

legalyaker is on a distinguished road
Default Scott A4 Reviews ?

Anyone had a chance to play around with one yet? Just curious to see if anyone has any experience with them and how they compare to the A3.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scott A4 Reviews ?

I messed around with one at Murrays fly shop and liked it a lot. It was the 9' 8wt. You could feel it load at pretty short distance, but granted its not a hugely fast tapered rod. The A4 is worlds away from the S4. The same wiggle that got a full 3rd of the A4 shaking only got about 8 inches of the S4 shaking. That being said, I was able to chuck out 60 feet with little effort. Like with the other Scotts I've lawn tested, the taper transmits a lot of feel. It bends deeper than most 8 weights and has a stiffer tip than most 8 weights, but the progressiveness of it was smooth and it was a joy to cast. A4 would be a great all arounder in a 5 weight, but I'm trying out a few more before I decide (I'm looking for a 10' 8 weight). I'm about to order a Loomis Pro 4x because of its NRX tip for sensitivity while nymping, but if it doesn't work out for me, I'll probably give it back for an A4. I'd go for an A4 over an Orvis Access any day; faster action, but also better loading feel. I've been hearing great things about TFO BVK if you haven't tried one of those out yet. Too bad they don't make a 10' 8 wt because that's a great deal and TFOs warranty beats out most of the competition.

Hope it helps and good luck picking up a new rod
Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks. That helps a bunch since I'm actually looking for a steelhead rod and was considering a 9' 6" 8wt.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Oh okay, that I can work with. The tip on the A4 is too weak to handle lots of splitshot and an indicator or for swinging with sink tips. The pro 4x has an nrx tip but I'm hoping it's stiff and sensitive. It's $10 cheaper than an A4 and has loomis's wildcard warranty. My 10 foot 8 weight should arrive on Jan 3 or 4 with a wulff ambush line and a cortland rocket taper. I'll let you know my opinions. Check out stillwaterflyshop.com and stillwateroutfitters on eBay. They have a4s and pro 4xs on eBay, a great trade back policy, and they come with a free line.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks again. While I normally prefer softer rods I also don't normally throw sinktips much. I'm just getting into steelheading. I knew the A3 wasn't at its best in the higher line rates and I thought they may have improved it some with the A4. I sure wish I could afford an S4. I played around with a friends 9' 7wt and for a fast rod I actually liked it. I checked out Still Waters online store and maybe I can talk my wife into a weekend in Bend soon since they are in Sunriver to toss a few around. I don't think that would be hard to do.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 PM

I got my Loomis Pro 4x in today. Had just enough light left outside to take it to a lake and play around with it. Its a little more flex than I would have thought considering they rate it as fast and stiff. I would agree with fast, as it's recovery time is great, but it will definitely flex pretty low when you give it some power. Great for roll casting and snake rolls which are about all I do on the Salmon river so I'm definitely happy with it, but in all honesty, the 9' 8wt A4 I casted had a stiffer tip, though not as quick a recovery. I'd really like to know how a 10' 8wt A4 behaves though. I was casting with a Wulff Ambush line, which will take some getting used to, but it does roll cast like a dream. I'm sure once I get my form down it will be a good snap T and double spey line but so far all I can get out of it well is a snake roll, but I can shoot a good 20+ feet of running line no problem. Overhead casting with the line was a little messy, but the rod felt awesome. I really can't wait for bass season to kick in as I feel the rod will really let me reach out.