The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 08:31 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default another one I couldn't pass up

On eBay the other night and found a "RiverBeast Shadowcaster" 8'6" 5wt needing an opening bid of $45.

Since I don't have an 8'6" 5wt I of course bid on it.

Got it in the mail today but I was too busy to really test it to any great extent. I did stick an Okuma 4/5 reel loaded with a wf5f line on it and took it to my yard for a few casts before I headed back to work, though.

The reel fit wasn't great, and the reel seat leaves room for improvement (the "butt cap" serves as the threaded lock ring ), but I got the reel secured and the line through the guides.
A few "sidearm" casts in my side yard (I avoid true overhead casting because there are powerlines overhead) showed me the rod itself fits my casting style very well. I'd rate it as a medium/slow action and a full flex rod. I was able to get out about 50' of line & leader and hit my target (a shrub) easily.

Now the long wait for spring, unless I decide to take it to work with me tomorrow. On my schedule is a customer who happens to have a pond full of bluegill & bass and it isn't frozen yet. If it isn't pouring rain I may at least try it with a wet line.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another one I couldn't pass up

Wabi,
Earlier this year I bought a Riverbeast 9' 8wt "Windwalker" on ebay for around $50 bucks, overall I was very impressed with it, the finish was nice, hardware seems ok, and it cast well.
I ended up buying another rod from them called the "beast", I figured if nothing else it would be a back up rod to be stowed in the bottom of the boat. I ended up liking the rod even better than the first one.

Both of these are beefy rods in the 7 and 8 wt range, very light and faster than any other rods I own, I use them for the big Carp and Wipers we have around here.
Since then I've bought a couple to give away as gifts.....for the price why not.
I did try one of their lighter rods a 9' 4wt in the Windwalker model in hopes that it was a fast action rod like the others, it wasn't, but it will work fine as a back up.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have bought 3 riverbeast rods. the deals were to good to pass up.
sold one, kept one, sent one as a gift......nice rod for the money(the tube alone barley equals the cost).

i kept the windwalker 9' 8 weight 4 piece btw

casey

ARFE
Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Casey,
What lines have you tried on the Windwalker?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

fysh,
the rod has yet to be lined but an allen 8 weight wf floating line will be the first i try
i'm a big fan of allen lines(i have em in 3-5 weights) so i'll try it on the heavier rod. if not i'll try a streamer or bass taper.

casey

ARFE
Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

I've only had the RIO Grand 8wt on mine, it cast well up to about 75' and then kinda struggled, but up to that point it was a rocket launcher. Let me know how the Allen works on it.

Just a little FYI...the Beast is a little bit faster than the WW, but not much. They're both fast rods in the higher line weights.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:11 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Interesting thread! I've seen those rods, and wondered if they were any good or not. Now, and I know this is the wrong site for it, but have any of you purchased any of the other rods those folks sell, such as the spinning or casting rods? I would be interested in hearing comments if so!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!