The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM

noirwest is on a distinguished road
Default four vs six piece rods

I'm looking over a TFO Professional Series rod to learn on and hopefully fish a few seasons with. I'm thinking nine foot since I'll be using it on small lakes and larger ponds more than the brushy stuff so the longer length shouldn't be a problem. A lot of the fishing up here happens after a few hours of walking. Usually, no, make that, always uphill walking. A 4 piece rod should pack down nicely but I see this rod also comes in six sections as well. Uhmm, guess my question is if there are advantages besides breakdown package size to a six piece rod? It does seem like there would be more fussing around with alignment and keeping things seated with the extra joints. Guess the main issue here is would the action be about the same?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: four vs six piece rods

I don't think that action would be an issue, but if you're looking at the 6wt, I can say that I've hiked with the TFO 6pc and found it pretty handy. It will take longer to assemble, but it will be shorter stored. There's your difference.

Cheers,
--Rob
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

I've hiked 3+ miles and 2000+ vert feet for good fly fishing and I've never had a problem carrying a 4 piece rod. I simply stuck the rod tube inside my pack and had it poking out of the top. It was a 7.5 footer, but I've done the same with a 9 footer, just not that kind of hiking, though I have carried two 9 foot rods in a pack up a river (wading). I see that the 6 piece rods are $60 more. Action would probably be impacted making it slower, but very little to the point I would consider it a non-factor.

Personally, I see no advantages to it. I do however see a $60 disadvantage.

I have no experience with 6 piece rods or with TFO so I can only speculate on the action difference. I've only noticed action difference between 2 piece and 4 piece rods.

Good luck on the purchase!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about Airline regulations anymore but if you plan to fly....carry on restrictions may be a difference.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

The latest and greatest technological innovations have had an impact on multiple piece rods and the impact they have on the action of a rod.
I can't speak for the TFO rods but I have cast the Redington CT line of rods and the difference between 6 and 4 pc, in my opinion, was almost nonexistent.
That $60 difference is hard to swallow. However, its always best, if possible, to match your rods to your application. If you want a pack rod a six piece will be more compact and easier to beat through the bush in.
There's my half-nickel...

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 PM

noirwest is on a distinguished road

Yeah I can see the packability award going to the six piece but I never travel by air so that negates that selling point. The four piece seems about as packable and in the end I've got to find examples of them in a shop so I can stand there and wave it around like I know what I'm doing. I bought a few spinning rods online over the years and always wind up selling them or giving them away due to some or other little fault in feel or handling. Don't want to do that anymore and especially with a rod as expensive as these can be. Or expensive to me, at least.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 6pc Redington CT in a 5wt. I like the rod alot but for me the extra joints aren't worth the campact size. I'm realigning the sections a few times on a full day of fishing. I don't to too much hiking so my 4pc rods break down far enough for me.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

If you talk to the manufacturers, they almost universally say that the more sections any given rod has the faster the action becomes. But from 4 to 6 sections probably will not be enough to matter. 2 to 6 sections would probably be noticable enough to matter.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I consistently fish two Jim Teeny TFO, 10 foot rods. One in 5 weight and one in 7 weight. I find the compactness of the 5 sections wonderful when traveling, especially when flying.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 01-05-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
If you talk to the manufacturers, they almost universally say that the more sections any given rod has the faster the action becomes. But from 4 to 6 sections probably will not be enough to matter. 2 to 6 sections would probably be noticable enough to matter.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I consistently fish two Jim Teeny TFO, 10 foot rods. One in 5 weight and one in 7 weight. I find the compactness of the 5 sections wonderful when traveling, especially when flying.
Homer,

How would you compare the Jim Teeny rods to the TiCr or TiCrx?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I would go with the 4pc. After swinging doors, the most common breakage of rods occurs at a loose ferrule. Though better than they used to be, extra ferrules do effect the feel of a rods action. And, at 4 pieces the 9' rod is already quite backpacable and also legal as airline carry-on. A compromise that has been well reviewed is Albright's 5pc. rods...at least worth a look.