The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Cork treatments

Just looking for info on cork treatments, or sealers. Just got a nice new rod so I want to make sure I treat it right. curious if stain will hurt it. thanks
Mike
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cork treatments

I have used U40 cork sealer. Works great, but darkens the cork just a hair. If it has a bunch of filler in it, it seems to help keep it in there. I'd recommend it. Don't use stain.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have used U40 cork sealer. Works great, but darkens the cork just a hair. If it has a bunch of filler in it, it seems to help keep it in there. I'd recommend it.
x2 here. I'd add that I like the darkened look.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have used U40 cork sealer. Works great, but darkens the cork just a hair. If it has a bunch of filler in it, it seems to help keep it in there. I'd recommend it. Don't use stain.
darker would be fine with me for sure. Ill see if theres a local sorce for it. Diver Dan since you replied I came across one of your youtube vids in a search today for pike fly fishing, glad to know Im not the only one that has to go the bank and drop off non water proof items, like wallet. nice fish to.. ok back on topic. thanks for the tip

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

ran a search, is there a good online sorce for this stuff? thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where you are at, but I don't order stuff like that in the winter. It gets really far below zero here and I don't want stuff freezing in the mail or whatever delivery they use. Some things react badly to freezing. All kinds of places carry it. I think even Cabela's may.

The video you were talking about, I ditched the wallet because I thought I may have to go in over the waders to get that Pike out of the weeds it buried itself in. I was willing to go swimming for that one. I did go swimming for a big Largemouth once. For the ones who don't know about the Pike;
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I don't care for sealants or anything else on my grips except bug juice, fish slime, sweat and maybe even a little blood.
If they get too terribly grungy I'll just clean them up. I'll clean them too before selling them. I've yet to find a stain that won't wash off.
I really, really like the feel of natural cork. I can't think of a better material to use for fly rod grips because of it's grip that gives a good sense of security that the rod will never slip out of your hand when casting and because of the warm feel of natural cork. I'm for leaving the cork as it is but then I was never big on plastic covers for my living room furniture either.

Consider too, discoloring the natural cork with a treatment would probably drop the resale value of the rod should you ever want to sell it.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 AM

yep thats the pike. I am in kentucky so that bad of a freeze would be unlikly. one habit im going to try and break is jamming my flys into the top of the handle for stowing.. the old rod handle is getting beat up after just one season. I may stop by a hardware store and see if they have a cork sealer.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I don't care for sealants or anything else on my grips except bug juice, fish slime, sweat and maybe even a little blood.
If they get too terribly grungy I'll just clean them up. I'll clean them too before selling them. I've yet to find a stain that won't wash off.
I really, really like the feel of natural cork. I can't think of a better material to use for fly rod grips because of it's grip that gives a good sense of security that the rod will never slip out of your hand when casting and because of the warm feel of natural cork. I'm for leaving the cork as it is but then I was never big on plastic covers for my living room furniture either.

Consider too, discoloring the natural cork with a treatment would probably drop the resale value of the rod should you ever want to sell it.
I decided to read all post before saying anything (usually a real good idea ) and I see that the Jackster and I think alike once more. I have been anointing my grips with the mucus of fish for a long time. I actually make sure to apply some from the first fish of the day to my rod grip, it's a ritual based on superstition but it always works

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Think of it as a fine patina, every stain and blotch a memory!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
ran a search, is there a good online sorce for this stuff? thanks
I have ordered mine from JS Stockard.