The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default BVK 3 wt question

My pal has an 8' 3wt BVK and he's read that there is an option to add sections to it, extending it to 10'. Cost is $99.00. If that doesn't absolutely ruin the action of the rod it would make for an awesome (I think?) high stick and nymph rod for the appropriate sized fishies.

Anyone have information or experience that I can pass on to him? He's not a forum type guy and I'd like to help him make a good decision...

Thanks for any help! -Mike
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: BVK 3 wt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
My pal has an 8' 3wt BVK and he's read that there is an option to add sections to it, extending it to 10'. Cost is $99.00. If that doesn't absolutely ruin the action of the rod it would make for an awesome (I think?) high stick and nymph rod for the appropriate sized fishies.

Anyone have information or experience that I can pass on to him? He's not a forum type guy and I'd like to help him make a good decision...

Thanks for any help! -Mike
From what I've read, its a pretty great rig, though it reportedly performs better with a 4wt line with the additional sections.

I want one, but I NEED tires...

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I have fished it as an 8 footer and it's exteeeeemely light and has a sweet feel with a fish on...casts beautifully. I want to fish it at 10', but have to get him to pony up. looking for ammo...

Also fished the 9' 5wt and it's a sweetie too. -m
Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Link to TFO BVK web page: BVK Series

Has the 3 wt conversion kit.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks aunt...I took my pal to the tfo web site first thing to look at this together. Maybe no one has fished this configuration of the rod yet. Sure looks like a no brainer...like getting a second $250 rod for $99...

....but if it happens to fish like a broomstick?

The other concern I have is the lifting power of the rod...as you see in the link, it could be the limiting factor if going to the 10' configuration somehow reduces lifting power even further, though you would think it would improve???

thanks again...-Mike
Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post

The other concern I have is the lifting power of the rod...as you see in the link, it could be the limiting factor if going to the 10' configuration somehow reduces lifting power even further, though you would think it would improve???

thanks again...-Mike
Power is in the butt of the rod. Unless the sections include a longer and thicker butt section, the power of the rod will not change.

Normally, a longer rod of the same taper and line rating of a shorter rod will have greater power. A rod tapers from thinner at the tip to thicker at the butt. This causes the butt of the longer rod to be thicker, stronger, and stiffer than the butt of a shorter rod. Stronger and stiffer = more lifting power.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Power is in the butt of the rod. Unless the sections include a longer and thicker butt section, the power of the rod will not change.

Normally, a longer rod of the same taper and line rating of a shorter rod will have greater power. A rod tapers from thinner at the tip to thicker at the butt. This causes the butt of the longer rod to be thicker, stronger, and stiffer than the butt of a shorter rod. Stronger and stiffer = more lifting power.
Thank you...makes perfect sense...