The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default So i tried out my new Echo Ion 7wt

Went down and practiced at the community soccer field one block away yesterday.

Ohhh man, i really like this rod. It is a med/fast action and feels smooth as butter. I am replacing my Cabelas 3 forks with this. I know i didnt spend much on the 3 Forks but after a fall of casting it and having the cork fall apart, i am frankly pretty disappointed in it.

So, having talked to a guide i know about them and reading on local forums from other users i decided to ask for one for X-Mas. I am glad i did. Perhaps it is a bit of "new rod excitement" coloring my perception but frankly for not a lot more this rod is head and shoulders above the Cabelas rod.

Echo Ion rods

I paired it with a matching Ion reel and Airflo Ridge Supple Impact WF7F line

I would encourage anyone looking for a new rod to give them a look. A high quality rods at a very competitive price.

Further, it turned out that the the 12 wt tuna chasing rod my wife brought home as well was in fact a spey rod. Not a bad thing, just not something i am prepared to jump into yet. I am looking at switch rods with a purchase in mind in the future. Anyways, after realizing i had a spey rod on my hands i took it back to the shop as well and swapped it out for another Echo rod. The 7wt left such a good impression on me that i spent a extra $100 and got the Echo 3 12wt for hopeful tuna adventures next summer. Plus, i get a future Tarpon rod at the same time.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So i tried out my new Echo Ion 7wt

Sounds like you had a pretty good Christmas! Those Echo rods look great and reasonably priced too.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM

spug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So i tried out my new Echo Ion 7wt

They are nice! I had an 8 for a while. Only sold it because I had too many rods and got all panicy! Wifey no likey!