The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage SLT vs. Sage ZXL

So I have the same question here. I have an opportunity to get one of these rods as well. Let me lay the scenario out

For sale so I can get either or both (dont tell the wife)
383-4SLT
376-4ZXL

I fish small streams in the rockis 99% of the time
Fish range from 8-15"
Majority of my fishing is Aug-Oct for dry fly fishing
40' is a long cast where I go, majority of the time I have maybe 10-20 of floating line out

Current quiver

Elkhorn 7' 1WT
Elkhorn 7'6" 3wt
Sage TXL 3710-3
Sage TXL 4710-3
Sage Z-Axis 490-4
St Croix LU 490-4
Orvis Hydros 690-4

Would you even consider getting either the SLT or ZXL or stick with what I have. Being so used to fishing "fast" rods and fishing where there is always wind, would I benefit from having a slower rod ?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
So I have the same question here. I have an opportunity to get one of these rods as well. Let me lay the scenario out

For sale so I can get either or both (dont tell the wife)
383-4SLT
376-4ZXL

I fish small streams in the rockis 99% of the time
Fish range from 8-15"
Majority of my fishing is Aug-Oct for dry fly fishing
40' is a long cast where I go, majority of the time I have maybe 10-20 of floating line out

Current quiver

Elkhorn 7' 1WT
Elkhorn 7'6" 3wt
Sage TXL 3710-3
Sage TXL 4710-3
Sage Z-Axis 490-4
St Croix LU 490-4
Orvis Hydros 690-4

Would you even consider getting either the SLT or ZXL or stick with what I have. Being so used to fishing "fast" rods and fishing where there is always wind, would I benefit from having a slower rod ?
Neither of these rods is slow. The ZXL is quicker than the SLT. With the 3 wt's you have in your quiver now, I see an overlap by adding another one but I know nothing about the Elkhorn to say how either would compare to it. That said, I have 4 3 wt's and two are the exact same rod except one is a GII and the other is a GIII graphite so don't trust me on counting rods
Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Neither of these rods is slow. The ZXL is quicker than the SLT. With the 3 wt's you have in your quiver now, I see an overlap by adding another one but I know nothing about the Elkhorn to say how either would compare to it. That said, I have 4 3 wt's and two are the exact same rod except one is a GII and the other is a GIII graphite so don't trust me on counting rods
I was concerned about the overlap as well. Especially considering I just sold off a Sage Launch and St Croix Avid both in 3WT. The Elkhorn is fairly fast, it feels heaver than the spec sheet says but I think they shave some weight in the reel seets they use. The Elkhorn to me was a shorter version of the Launch is why I kept it and sold the Sage Launch.

I did cast a 386-4 ZXL a while back and it is a absolute dream.....it could quite relegate the TXL to a backup/guest rod (unless of course I get a new TXL-F also)
Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

I did cast a 386-4 ZXL a while back and it is a absolute dream.....it could quite relegate the TXL to a backup/guest rod (unless of course I get a new TXL-F also)
Comeonavs, I have and love the 386 ZXL you should go for it! I also have the 490 Z-Axis like you. That combo covers a lot of water on small/med streams.

Since you already have a shorter 3 wt I would definitely go with the 386 vs. the 376.
Rich
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
Comeonavs, I have and love the 386 ZXL you should go for it! I also have the 490 Z-Axis like you. That combo covers a lot of water on small/med streams.

Since you already have a shorter 3 wt I would definitely go with the 386 vs. the 376.
Rich
See you are trouble now I want both the 7'6" and 8'6" version. The deal I could land is on the 7'6" version...to go 8'6" I would have the pay retail and if I go that far I might just look at a 9" Sage ONE in 3wt.....

Sage Kool Aid tastes so good but is an expensive taste
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 AM

redthrilseeker is on a distinguished road

ON SALe

CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

I think the transitioning from LL-SP-SLT-ZXL have made some changes in both weight and crispness in feel. I only owned two SLT 9' 4 & 8'6" 5 and two ZXL a 8'4 and 8'6" 4 and would not part with any. In fact I have tried in vain to find a deal on discounted unused 8'6" 5 ZXL. In my hands as I am an "ok" caster these rods feel just right and I can go back and forth between them with no real difference . Having said that it opportunity presented itself I jump on a LL 8:6" 3 or multi piece SP. One final note the replacement for the ZXL the Circa is an entirely different feeling rod. In my humble opinion significant different from the SLT/ZXL feel. And different is not bad at all . I believe that some may simply feel a change in casting sensation. Like it yes a lot but I am a glass addict but price point is there and a discounted ZXL at $399 would be my buy first.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 AM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I've been looking at a number of different Sage rods. As I continue to kill time this winter while I can't fish for trout, I've been researching fly rods and making the occasional purchase I've been looking hard at SLT rods and am interested in the comparison between the SLT and the ZXL. I understand the ZXL to be the rod that replaced the SLT - can anyone comment who has fished both rods on their similarities/differences?

Your comments are appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike.
Hi Mike, both great rods I think, I find my SLT just a touch crisper than the ZXL.
I sold the ZXL a while back as I just wasn't using yet, and the SLT became my go to every time.
Here in the UK the SLT is a much respected rod, more so than the ZXL which can be picked quite often in the used market for less money usually.
It seems to have gained a bit of a cult status here, and I for one wouldn't part with mine.
S.