The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:35 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Wintertime Boredom

As I sit here and all my favorites streams are under thick ice I am pondering my quiver of rods and the cash burning a hole in my pocket.

First question is I have a Elkhorn Traveler 1wt I love. I usually get to use it 6 times a year or so. It goes with me on the backpack everytime I go in case the wind lays down. After fondling a TXL-F 1wt the other day I am about to do something stupid. Money or not would you dump $625 in to a rod you use a handful of times per year when you have one you like ? Outside of being a gear junkie being the obvious reason to buy one.

Second question is same as above. I have a TXL 3 and 4 wt that both are awesome. Anyone out there gone to the TXL-F from the TXL and why ? Is it worth "upgrading" ?

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Wintertime Boredom

Hi,

I would (if I were dying to spend money) probably lean toward something I did not already have on hand. The number of items that a fella can get for fly fishing is a huge thing to ponder. I once made the mistake of buying a rod on impulse. I already owned a 3 weight flea rod 6' 6" and for some reason I felt I just had to have a 7' 3 weight graphite rod as well. The graphite was a top end rod from the maker but after a period of almost 4 years I had used only a handful of times. I ended up selling it and then bought a much heavier rod that gets used often.

I know the feelings you are experiencing, perhaps all too well. A glance at the tubes in the corner of my loft or the reels at my tying bench speaks volumes for keeping me under control, I have more than I can possibly use.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I know what you mean, I bought the Elkhorn 1Wt and was in the shop later and on a whim I bought the matching 3wt. 2 years later I still havent used it due to the TXL being my favorite. Same thing with a 3wt Sage launch I bought on closeout "in case" some one of my buddies needed to borrow a rod. But in the $200 range a whim is easier to live with than the $600 range

The only rod I dropped serious coin on and bought new, knowing I would use it one or two days a year was a Sage Z Axis 9' 4WT for a trip to North Park Co my friends and I take every year. It is a dream rod that can throw size 20 dries so quietly or a size 14 dry / dropper easily as well.

I am trying to avoid the bamboo habit as those are to rich for my blood to acquire a few.

Just as a side note most of my rods I buy gently used off Craigslist in the middle of the winter. Last year I got the Hydros 6wt unused for less than 50% of retail off a guy who was desperate to sell. Now if I could just find some used txl-f rods locally

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-31-2011, 07:05 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Personally, regardless of the $$$, the rods that I have and love because of the memories and service they have given me...and I love because they fit me and how I like rods to feel...are never going to be replaced unless lost, stolen or broken. (Happily, they all have at least a 25 yr warranty)

Not all of my rods fit that description and some will will probably get replaced...but if you really do love that Elkhorn Traveler why would you off it?

just my perspective...but I'm NOT really a gearhead at all. I only add or change gear when it adds a new or much improved tool in the old toolbox...

-Mike
Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Personally, regardless of the $$$, the rods that I have and love because of the memories and service they have given me...and I love because they fit me and how I like rods to feel...are never going to be replaced unless lost, stolen or broken. (Happily, they all have at least a 25 yr warranty)

Not all of my rods fit that description and some will will probably get replaced...but if you really do love that Elkhorn Traveler why would you off it?

just my perspective...but I'm NOT really a gearhead at all. I only add or change gear when it adds a new or much improved tool in the old toolbox...

-Mike
The irony of it is the guy at a local fly shop , not the
Elkhorn shop, who was taunting me with the TXL-F 1WT. I said I want one but cant justify $625 when I have the Elkorn I love. His comment was "me too", I said what and he said he has the same Elkhorn and didnt buy the TXL because he like the Elkhorn so well he couldnt justify the expense.

I guess I need to just save my money so I can buy a gift for my wife

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
The irony of it is the guy at a local fly shop , not the
Elkhorn shop, who was taunting me with the TXL-F 1WT. I said I want one but cant justify $625 when I have the Elkorn I love. His comment was "me too", I said what and he said he has the same Elkhorn and didnt buy the TXL because he like the Elkhorn so well he couldnt justify the expense.

I guess I need to just save my money so I can buy a gift for my wife
Whoa...I never said not to spend the money and get a rod/reel/toy of your choice. I just said I wouldn't replace the Elkhorn.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Whoa...I never said not to spend the money and get a rod/reel/toy of your choice. I just said I wouldn't replace the Elkhorn.
I guess I am out of luck

Love the Elkhorn

Love the TXL 3 & 4 wt, cant imagine the TXL-F is that much better than rods I love.

Maybe I can get a Grey's Streamflex 10' 4Wt for Spring Thaw nymphing.

On that note I have 2 9' 4WT rods......will that extra 1' make a difference in nymphing ?

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-31-2011, 09:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

John Staluppi is a firm believer in "He who dies with the most toys wins", and he wants to win.

Buy everything you can...within your budget. I have two rods of the same model and length, in 5 and 4 weights. There's a world of difference between the rods, but not all rods are like that. Not all anglers are like that either.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I guess I will keep my cash locked up and hidden in the gun safe and keep scouring the classifieds. You never know when the deal of the year will pop up.

As a side that is how I got in to owning a Sage TXL. Saw an add for Sage 3wt and reel $300. I called and said what it the rod....lady answer TXL , I said I will come buy it, as a side what is the reel you say comes with it....Sage Click 3200.

As I bought it I asked her whats the deal, she said ex boyfriend left it at her house 2 years earlier and then he moved cross country . She said she knows he paid over $1000 for the setup but she needed $300 for a gun so that is what she was asking for it.

Got a bill of sale and off I went

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM

kibby is on a distinguished road

The only things I buy whether I need them or not are guns.