The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage VT2 vs Z axis vs Winston B2X 9' 9wt 4pc

I have the B2X 10 wt. I love it. I also tried a couple of Sages a friend of mine had, older rods (12 or 13 years ago) and hated them both. They both cast OK but I didn't like the feel or the look of either rod. That may not be true of the newer ones but have never looked at one since his. They gave me a 'nope to Sage' complex I have not shaken.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM

9piferad is on a distinguished road

True enough, I guess I just need to look even harder to find a 9 wt in all of these that i can cast. My biggest thing is I am trying to build my first rod, and am a bit overwhelmed already just picking the blank! I get what you are saying Frank, and was trying to narrow everything down as much as possible, I had just found some of these blanks on clearance and had been thinking about building my own rod for some time now, and just wanted to see if there was any input on any of these rods before I pulled the trigger on any of them, since they didn't have any around and i would have to resort in ordering them online. Anyways, thanks everyone for your time and input!
Andrew
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I had a VT2 in 9' 7 weight for a while. Perhaps the #9 rod may be better than the number 7 was but I found the number 7 to be too soft in the tip, too soft for tossing big flies. Had the flex included the mid part of the rod it would have been fine for me. I thought it would have made a good dry fly rod for big water loaded with a DT line but for throwing salmon flies and a tip it didn't make the grade. The rod was well finished and the blue shafts were a novelty in my collection but I ended up selling it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

I understand what your going through regarding your first build and selecting the blank. I'm also in the process of building my first rod and it took me a while to decide on what blank to buy. I ended up doing what others have suggested here and visited my local fly shop a few times to try casting the built up rods. I'm thinking about starting to assemble the parts for my next build. I have to make another trip to the fly shop since this time around I am interested in the Winston Passport blank mentioned in a previous post. Luckily they have the rod.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

get a tfo bvk blank
Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
get a tfo bvk blank
Wouldn't a TFO TiCRx fit his needs better?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Sage offers their Xi3 rod as a blank.

I have a factory 4 pc. 9'0" Xi3 9 wt. and it's a great rod for salt water fishing. You might want to have a look at it...........

Pocono
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any experience with the VT2, but can comment on BIIX and Z Axis Series.

I fish a 10ft 7wt BIIX for Great Lakes steelies and it is an outstanding rod for indy nymphing. Love it for this application. I can throw smaller streamers with it very effectively. What a pleasure it is to fish this rod. The rod is capable of throwing larger ones as well, but I find that I have to really get into the rod when throwing larger flies. Is it capable, absolutely but you have to adjust the stroke. I love the sensitive tip of this rod for nymphing. With that said, there are times when I feel slightly under gunned with it when throwing multiple nymphs and streamers, the streams I fish are small compared to some rivers. Again, just adjust the stroke and I can generally get it out there. The butt of the rod is very strong, I've never felt under gunned when fighting a fish.

While I don't own a 7wt Z, I do have a 5wt and that rod is incredibly versatile. Streamers, multiple nymphs with indy, dry flies, small midges (#26)--all no problem. This is a much faster rod to me than the BIIX but with also with a soft and sensitive tip. Unless I'm going for some serious distance or throwing large streamers I don't have to make as many false casts. This is another rod that I just find a pleasure to fish with.

Both of these are light, sensitive, and capable rods although for sensitivity, I'd give the slight edge to the Winston.

Casting one is always a solid piece of advice if that's possible. I also agree with Frank's assessments about people's opinions of various rods and more important within a given line that certain rods within a specific line excel more so than others. I think you should be asking yourself if you like slower action rods or faster action. Think about what types of flies you expect to throw on this rod and the size of the rivers. This may help you hone in on your decision.

My disclaimer is that I am not a guide, casting expert or instructor, just a guy that loves to fish and loves gear

Good luck, happy shopping and let us know what you end up with.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I agree with the previous post above. A lot depends on where you are going to fish the rod. Don't forget that a lot depends on the fly line you use. A Z-Axis is probably better suited with a line a half weight heavier, while the Winston BIIX is wonderful with a standard line weight. Both have sensitive tips. I own two BIIX rods in 6 and 4 weights and have never felt like I couldn't cast in wind. As previously mentioned, you do not need to overpower your casts with a Winston rod. Having said this, you can't go wrong with either the Z-Axis or BIIX. Both of these rods were flagship rods for their manufacturers. I would spend the extra few bucks on the blank and skip the VT2. Your decision will come down to personal preference.