The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:33 PM

9piferad is on a distinguished road
Default Sage VT2 vs Z axis vs Winston B2X 9' 9wt 4pc

Hey there, I am trying to decide which rod blank to get, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I am wondering if anyone had some experience with any of these rods, or all of them. If anyone can shed some light on these rods, I would greatly appreciate it! This will be a multi purpose rod, going for salmon, steelhead and possibly some redfish too. the VT2 is the cheapest, the Winston would run about 70 dollars more, and the Z axis is sitting at the top of the list, at about 45 dollars more than the Winston. I just would like to hear from some people on here and see if it is worth it spending a bit more if these rods are worth the extra penny. Well, thank you in advance,
Andrew
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Sage VT2 vs Z axis vs Winston B2X 9' 9wt 4pc

well if theres any wind where you fish dont get the b2x
Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

9P...I have the VT2 9504, factory rod. It was touted by Sage as a muti purpose rod in their marketing and it seems to very much live up to that. I have nymphed with and without bobbicator, swung flies and fished bigger dries (hoppers, stimulators) with it. The rod does everything you ask of it very nicely. It has a nice feel with a fish on as well, which I like the best.

Sage also said each weight rod had it's own taper and action designed to best stay with the "versatility" theme...so that may mean the 5 and 9 are not the same...???

-Mike
Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Is there a shop around where you can go cast them? It's the only way to find out. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here and willing to share opinions with you, but for picking out a rod, it is all about personal preference, other people's opinions should not make a difference. For example, mikel loves his VT2, I cast a friends 6wt VT2 once and I can't think of anything good to say about it. It felt like a broom stick to me. Now is mikel wrong for liking it? Am wrong for disliking it? No and no. It's just what we happen to like.

Where in SW Michigan are you? I grew up in Coloma! Last time I was visiting home by brother and I drove down to Lunkers in Edwardsburg...they actually have a pretty good fly rod selection.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:42 PM

9piferad is on a distinguished road

Alrighty, thanks you guys. I have been looking more and more on other websites, and granted it is the internet, but after looking more at the Winston, I think I will pass on it. Too many negative reviews to take a chance. And yes Grass, there will be wind quite often, so that seems to kindof take that out of the equation. I was able to cast a Z axis, but in a 4 wt and liked it, but I haven't been able to find a 9 wt to cast, nor have I been able to find a VT2 in any weight. I wish there were a fly shop close, I wouldn't mind driving up north, but I have to leave on tues, back down to Ft. Hood, and none of the shops down around there have any of the VT2s that I have found.

I am in Battle Creek, a little over a hour from Coloma. But now, I sadly spend most of my time in the wonderful Ft. Hood, Tx. I only get to spend a few wonderful days in michigan a year, but that will soon change!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Grand Rapids isn't too far...there is at least one shop up in Rockford. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
well if theres any wind where you fish dont get the b2x
You've used the BIIX and are a very competent caster?
Just wondering because I know the rod works and works well but not in the hands of people who tend to really muscle their casts or who always want over-line their rods to compensate for other rods shortcomings.
There is a often copied reviewer out west who is stuck on the overlining concept in his rod tests.

Still, I would if at all possible test the rods out first. Every one of us has different strokes so have rods that favor our particular style more than others.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:01 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i have found that the tip is just a little light for my liking
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've decided that it's no longer possible for me to say, "I have X model rod in a Y weight and like it, therefore it would be a great Z weight rod." There's probably a darn good reason why Sage doesn't build ZXL rods past a 6wt, etc. Having said that....I'd look at the Winston Passport for a bargain price rod. The Yellowstone Angler guys loved it, and James Anderson said he felt like he was witnessing a revolution in the fly rod industry as a result of fishing the Passport. While the Yellowstone guys loved the 5wt Z-Axis, they were not particularly impressed with the Z-Axis in heavier line weights. Offering a rod in 20 different configurations is bound to make some of the rods winners, and others a bit disappointing.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:01 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
For example, mikel loves his VT2, I cast a friends 6wt VT2 once and I can't think of anything good to say about it. It felt like a broom stick to me. Now is mikel wrong for liking it? Am wrong for disliking it? No and no. It's just what we happen to like.
This is exactly correct...