The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 PM

miflyguy is on a distinguished road
Default new guy rod help

first post but figured this would be the best site to ask after lurking for a few days, i am looking at getting into fly fishing for the first time, avid spinning rod user, but would like to change it up.

little background is i have maybe cast a fly rod 10-14 times my whole life (23yr old) and am wondering whether i should get the orvis clearwater ii due to the 119$ sale price, or buy the new clearwater they have for 2012. also i am mainly going after bass/small pike and maybe hit up a trout now and then, if you had to use one rod for those three as a beginner what size/weight would be best?

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new guy rod help

Heck that's not a long post. Welcome to the forum. If you have your heart set on the Orvis, I'd probably get the cheaper version. I can't see where a new years model would be that big an improvement. Have you decided what weight you are thinking about? Also how big are the small Pike and Bass you are talking about? What size are the Pike flies you are thinking about? If none of this is answered by, "Oh not very small" a 6 wt. rod would probably be a good starter.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 AM

i have not really gotten down the fly sizes yet so im not sure the size, but just 12-15" pike and whatnot in the river up north, not many big fish, shallow river averaging 2-3ft deep at the cabin up north, and i figured the orvis just for the 25year warranty and the sale price seemed to draw me towards it, i have a g loomis 8ft 9wt that i have to get repaired (around an inch of the tip snapped off) for bigger fish
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, MiFlyGuy!

As a fellow newbie (I've only been here a few months), you will find the VAST majority of the folks on this forum to be incredibly helpful and friendly! Kind of like wandering into a local fishing shop off-season and bumping into fellow fisherman - you can talk all day!

I picked-up a Clearwater II combo on the clearance sale on Black Friday 2011. At the time, they were already advertising that they were out of the 865 and 905 5-weight, and I was originally looking for an 865. Fortunately, I only live about an hour from the Orvis Mothership in Manchester, VT, and when I went there they had a couple of the 905's left in 5-weight, so I came home with one.

The Orvis Factory Outlet in Queensbury, NY (Lake George) had BOTH the 865 and the 905, but these were seconds or refurbs being sold at greatly reduced price, but without any warranty.

Enrolled in a tying class now, and that will be followed by a casting class after the weather gets a bit better (it's -2F here this morning).

Good luck in finding the set-up that you want!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM

well i ended up getting a clearwater ii 9'6 7wt mid flex, should be here in 5-13 days so if the weather stays the same here i may be able to test it out when it gets here
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The 7wt should treat you well. It's a good size for Bass/Pike. Probably too much for Trout but a 5wt will fit that bill nicely.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

miflyguy: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. Like swirlchaser said, that clearwater ii 9'6 7wt should be a great fly rod for bass/pike fishing, also good for targeting large trout with streamers. Last year on the Missouri River I used an Orvis 7 wt and my fishing partner was using an 8 wt, we were into some awesome spring trout fishing using 2x tippet and still were breaking off the really big fish, but we landed our share.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 AM

quimby is on a distinguished road

I'm new to fly fishing as well. After weeks of looking everything over I went with Allen Xa rod and their trout reel.

They were really helpful in picking out what I needed. You might already have your heart set on Orvis, but it might not hurt to see what they can do for you.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miflyguy View Post
well i ended up getting a clearwater ii 9'6 7wt mid flex, should be here in 5-13 days so if the weather stays the same here i may be able to test it out when it gets here

Welcome to the Board. Its nice to see a fellow Michigander.

I think you made a great decision on this rod. It will slot nicely below that 9 weight. It will work well for bass, pike and steelhead. The 9'6" will give you a little better mending ability. Plus, it sets you up nicely for the future purchase of a 4wt. or 5wt. for Panfish/Trout/Small Bass.

I hope you are very happy with your new rod.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM

should be here tomorrow so we will see if UPS is correct with their tracking info, then its looking for a reel and line and all the other little odds and ends