The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough
Default Beginner needs help on old rods from grandpa. Orvis, Fenwick and Sage

My grandfater was an avid fly fisherman. He travaled all over the country and in canada fishing for trout and other quarry. He passed away when I was a young boy. In retrospect I barely knew him. My dad inherited all his gear in 1985. It has sat in his basement all this time. I have wanted to take up fly fishing for years but finally took the plunge about a year and a half ago. I took a half day fly casting class and "got my feet wet". I then went through all grandpa's stuff and below is what I found. Everything is in very good condition and I have been fising with this stuff for about a year. I have had some sucess and have enjoyed myself. I know there have been advances in fly rod technology but I also know that people caught plenty of fish in 1950, 60, 70 and 80 and they will work just fine. I'm trying to decide wheather to upgrade the stuff and save it as a keepsake or use it.
Most of his stuff was pretty cutting edge considereing they are all graphite and he died in 1984 so my question is this: How will these rods compare to modern rods. Has the reel technology changed much? Would a new (for example) clearance orvis clearwater II be a huge upgrade from a rod standpoint? Can the reels be mated to a modern rod and reep all the rod benefits? Why would I replace the reels? Any other insight on this equipment would be helpfull.

Sorry for the long/needy post.

Chris Thomas
Cary NC

Fly Rods:
Orvis Graphite 9' #9 Rod + Aluminum Tube
Orvis Graphite 8' 6" #8 Rod + Aluminum Tube
Orvis Graphite 8' 3" #7 Rod + Aluminum Tube
Fenwick Boron X XF-806 8' # 6 W Tube
Fenwick HMG Graphite 8' #6 W Aluminum Tube
Sage GFL 586 8' 6" #5 Rod + Aluminum Tube

Fly Reels:
Pflueger Meadalist W/ #9 Fly line w case and extra spool
Hardy Brothers Marquis #7 + Extra spool and cases
Hardy Brothers Marquis #6 + Extra spool and cases
Orvis CFO IV England loaded with #7
Hardy Sunbeam 5/6 w #6 and extra spool + case
Hardy LHR Lightweight loaded with #5 line
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner needs help on old rods from grandpa. Orvis, Fenwick and Sage

Looks like you have a bunch of nice rods and reels herewhy not try them and keep the ones you enjoy fishing with?You can then sell the others on e bay.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Beginner needs help on old rods from grandpa. Orvis, Fenwick and Sage

I'd say change the lines on the reels, and keep everything. You might end up regretting it if you sell them.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree that the lines have to be replaced. Between lines, rods and reels, lines are actually what's probably improved most since '84. They're slicker, more memory free, and float much better now.

The rods I'd want to fish first are the Sage 5wt and the Orvis 7. The 5 should be a great general purpose rod, and the 7 could be an awesome rod for bass.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

im just waiting for riptide to show up in this thread.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chris,

I'm a fan of the old Orvis rods and most of mine were made in the last century with some dating as early as 1964. Every one of the old Orvis rods is a great casting and fishing tool. As for the reels; they too all sound like excellent pieces. I use a CFO IV with a #5 rod and have owned all of the reels you have listed. All of them were beautiful to own and use, of the bunch you might want to keep hold of the LRH and the CFO because of their versatility in the various rods they can be matched up to. You have the makings of a fine collection of very usable reels there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I bought 3 marquis reels in the last couple years; they are great for palming with the exposed rim so you have all the drag you need. Looks like you are pretty well equipped with next to no expense to you!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough

I'm not planning to sell any of them. I'm just wondering if some are so outdated that I am operating at a defecit?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

You have a lot of Top Quality gear,your Grandfather must have liked his fishing & knew his gear,even though I've not used Orvis Rods,I have owned Fenwicks,still have Sages,they are top Rods.
As for The Reels The Hardys he had were "The Best" money could buy,I have an Orvis V which is a good Reel,you still see heaps of Pfluegers around as they are "Bullet Proof".
Good Luck.
Cheers.
Brian
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
im just waiting for riptide to show up in this thread.
I never really warmed up to graphite
When everyone else was evolving during the early graphite era , I stayed "stuck in the 60s" with my fiberglass