The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 PM

flytyerdave is on a distinguished road
Default Who made "Brownie" Bamboo Fly Rod

Hi. New to this site.

Anybody know the manufacturer of a Brownie bamboo fly rod?

Thanks! FTD
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Who made "Brownie" Bamboo Fly Rod

Hi FTD,

I can't answer your question but "Brownie" sounds like a model name rather than a manufacture. Is there any other information on the rod.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 AM

Hi Frank,

I agree, the name Brownie is most likely the model name. The name is etched into the nickel silver seat along with "Patent Applied For".

It looks like an F.E. Thomas rod, but not sure. Also I have never heard of this model rod.

It is a high quality rod. Thanks for responding. FTD
Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

FTD,

Edgar Sealey made a Brownie cane rod and he was in London. Most of his rods were quite long. Maybe you can find some information about his rods. Is there anything that indicates your rod came from England?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Hi Frank,

Nothing on the rod indicates a British rod, as far as I can see. For instance, the snake guides are not English "left footed guides" as I like to call them. Thanks for your reply. FTD
Old 08-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Hi Frank,

I just googled Edgar Sealey Brownie and sure enough, you are correct. It is that rod. My rod has been refinished, probably some time ago. Thanks for your help. FTD
Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

flytyerdave,

Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Back again, Frank re: Brownie rod.

One glitch that it's a Sealey rod...Beneath the name are the words, "Trademark, Reg. US Patent Off".

My question: How could it be a British rod with a registry in the US patent office?

Thanks. FTD
Old 08-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Hi flytyerdave,

A couple of things. The pat. is probably for the reel seat/handle not the fly rod. At one time America had some great bamboo rod builders and it is possible that the handle was made in America. Also, you said it had been refinished. The reel seat/handle could have been changed when the rod was redone. Nothing to stop some one in England from applying for the patent to protect their design in America. Especially if they were importing rods to America.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Hi Dave,

I just looked at your last post again and I missed the trademark comment. Little doubt that a company in England would trademark the name "Brownie" in the USA to keep other rod makers from using the name. I found 274 trademark filings at the patent office but nothing that fit a fly rod.