The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 PM

trouty is on a distinguished road
Default Rod-crazed!

Hi everyone! It's been a while, but I'm back, am doing tons of trout fishing, and it's nice to catch up and read some of your posts the last few days.

Lately I have developed the 'new rod obsession' familiar to most of you, and it's keeping me up at night something awful...

I'm thinking I'd like a lighter trout rod, maybe a 4 or even a 3 weight, and possibly shorter as well, for better 'feel' in small stream situations.

(I've never had anything lighter than a 5-weight. For reference, my current rods are a 9-foot 6-weight built on a Fisher GT40 blank (20 years old now), a 9-1/2' 5-weight Sage XP, and a 10-foot 7-weight Scott E2.)

The following rods - yes I know some are vastly different than others - have been attracting my attention, partly because they are on close-out sale in my area, and also because they all seem like pretty decent rods:

Powell TiMax 9' #4
Powell Tiboron 9' #4
Powell Edge 9' #4
St.Croix Legend Elite 8'6" #4
St. Croix Legend Ultra 9' #4

(I know the Powell 'Edge' might be way over the top for a light trout rod. I have briefly cast the Powell TiMax, and both of the St.Croix rods. The TiMax seems lighter and more responsive, and is my favorite, at least so far.)

Others in the running so far are the TFO Finesse Series #3 or #4 in the 8'9" length (possibly a little slow an action for me, I'm not sure), and maybe the Scott V2 or A2 series, in similar weight/length. Haven't had my hands on there yet...

Oh, and I'm trying to stay under $300.

Any comments would be much appreciated (yes, I know it's a hopeless quest!)

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rod-crazed!

I built a 2 wgt few years back when I lived in the Norh East and it was lots of fun on the little native brookie streams. It was a kit from Cabelas as it was my first attempt at building and I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money but it worked fine. (wasn't real pretty though...)
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 AM

Update: I'm putting the idea of a 4-weight on hold for the moment, having been offered a 9' #5 Z-Axis to try out.
Seems like a lighter more responsive 5-weight (than my 9-1/2' XP) could be what I'm really after.
Will let you know how I go...

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd get a 4wt. The TFO Finesse series is the best value I know of in what I really consider a trout rod. It'll sure feel pokey compared to your current xp but I bet you'll grow to love that softer rod.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 AM

Cliff - I've heard the Finesse are good rods, and have nothing against them, but *how about* a Legend Ultra 9' for #4 for only $179 on sale? I'm very tempted by this deal on the St. Croix, and I really liked it (and made in USA to boot). Surprisingly powerful too. I'd thought before casting it that it might be a bit on the 'soft' side, but it wasn't that way at all.

But, I'm trying out the new Z-Axis at my local pond tomorrow morning, so as I said, I better put the 4-weight on hold before the obsession gets out of control again(!) Plenty of time for a #4 once I get my #5 sorted out.

BTW, practicing tonight for several hours with the (9-1/2') XP, I was quite surprised how much I can start to like it again once I get relaxed with it.

PS - Let me know what you think about the deal on the Legend Ultra(!) No brainer, or what?

8>)

Cheers
Dave
Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi trouty,

The Legend Ultra is a good buy at the regular price. I think $174 is a heck of a deal if it is the latest model. It is a faster rod than the TFO Finesse. I think it is a no-brainier. Make sure it has the IPC technology and made with SCIV graphite.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:03 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Hey trouty where is that legend on sale at?
Old 08-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback Frank. I think it's 179 or 189 bucks; a demo rod, but no marks on it. I'm hearing so many good things about this rod I might get it just to give a good try out. Like you say, it's a no brainer. And made in the US to boot (gotta give that some credit.)

Update on the 905 Z-Axis I tried this morning: First, I can't believe how much everyone raves about the 'lightness' of the Z-Axis. Give me a break! It's 3-3/8th ozs. compared to my (six-inch-longer) XP at 3-9/16th ozs. That's a hair over 1/4 oz. difference (which you'd think would hardly even account for the additional six inches!) But, I digress... [Oh yeah - did I mention that I am a curmudgeon?(!)] 8>)

Casting... well, it feels very nice, but I guess I just didn't 'feel the magic'. If I didn't already have a top-notch 5-weight Sage, I might spring for the Z-Axis just so I'd never have to doubt my rod. But, it seems that trying to compare two excellent rods only made me realise how much more work my casting needs - and also appreciate that my XP is no slouch.

So, I still don't have a 'light' 5-weight... I wonder if that Legend Ultra 4-weight will fill the 'gap'?(!)

Cheers
Dave

[Hardhat - I'll let you know if I don't buy it; unfortunately there's only one.]
Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 PM

Rod-Craziness got the better of me! I went and bought that nice Legend Ultra 9' for #4. $195 w/tax! [Sorry Hardhat. I've seen 'em online somewhere, for $220 I think.]

It's a great-looking and feeling rod.

Any Legend Ultra #4 owners? What line do you like on this rod for drys?

I'll be overlining it a bit with a WF#5 for now (seemed to cast fine to 40' plus) as I don't have a #4 line at hand. Off tomorrow for a few days to try it out on some brookies up at Sardine Lakes...

Cheers
Dave
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

None of the rods you are considering fall into either the "****", "overpriced", or "overpriced ****" categories. I'd be happy to fish any of them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.