The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By imxer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:45 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road
Default 7wt GLX native run or 8wt NRX?

I have been shopping around for a good steelhead rod for a few months. I am looking for a rod that will be used primarily for steelehead in the Lake Erie tributaries. These are medium sized waters with fish averaging 5-8lbs but which also sometimes produce fish of 10-12lbs. I may also want to use the rod for some light salmon fishing if I get the chance, and light saltwater use (bonefish, permit, redfish).

I have the chance to buy one of the two following rods:
1. G.Loomis GLX Native Run 9'6" 7wt 4 piece.
2. G.Loomis NRX 9' 8wt. 4 piece.

The price difference between the two is significant but not really important to me. The way I feel about it, in 5 years I am not going to miss the extra $200 that might be spent or saved but I will still have the rod.

Given the intended use, I would appreciate opinions from others who have done this kind of fishing. Which should I buy? Also, does anyone know how the Native Run weathers saltwater?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: 7wt GLX native run or 8wt NRX?

Well, I own the 7wt in question and love it. But if I only had one rod for the broad spectrum of situations you're talking about, I'd go with the 8wt. Except I couldn't handle fishing with a rod with the colors of the NRX, LOL!
Gary
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

These are two very different rods. The Native Run is fundimentally the same taper and action of the original GLX line but available in 4pc. models. This would be a fine and sweet rod on the Great Lakes tribs. NRX is substantially faster in action and (I have the 8 weight) has quickly become my favorite bonefish rod. It can handle wind and distance better and more acuratly than classic GLX.

While the flat graphite gray and opaque blue wraps have not won too many beauty pagents, I have grown used to thier unique and purposfull look...However, NEWS FLASH, at the Somerset Show this weekend G.Loomis is introducing NRX Green! Same uber-potent rod with a thin coat of green paint with matching green wraps!

Anyway (or color) these are both fine rods with different personalities and you should cast them side by side to make an informed decision.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

You said the price difference is significant, so knowing that the GLX is a fine rod (yes, I'm a Loomis fan), personally I'd go with it.
Take the coin you save and get a nice reel and your $$$ ahead.

My opinion is that Loomis (or anyone else) has not yet produced a better rod than the GLX, it's that good!
imxer likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

John,

I have your six on the Loomis GLX, hard to beat.

From what I have seen on ebay the GLX and NRX prices appear to be coming together.

Paul
fysh likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 01-26-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I have the 10' 8 wt. Native Run that I use for Lake Michigan Kings. It's a great rod, throws with power and has the length I want to perform huge mends with the Steelhead tapered line. On some of the largest Kings in some of the faster water, it puts a helluva bend in that rod and quite honestly, feel it could use a little more backbone at times. But 95% of the time, it does the job and does it very well.

For what you're looking at, the 9.5 7 wt., I think you would have a fine Lake Erie steelhead rod. I use a 10' wt. Sage VXP for Erie tribs. I like the 10 footers for mending but the 9 1/2 would suit you just fine.

I'm not familiar with the NRX outside of seeing them in the fly shop and reading about them. I understand it to be a quicker rod - and an 8 wt. It wouldn't be my ideal pairing for Erie tribs. Now I said "ideal". It would certainly work but my concern is with the low and clear conditions that are so prevalent there and the tippet downsizing, you would have too much rod and risk too many break offs for Erie. But to fish it in the salt, where some people want a 9 ft rod to keep out of the wind some, and the fast power that was mentioned above, I think you've got the rod in the NRX.

In short, I think you could do both with the Native Run. It's probably note the ideal salt stick for you but could you get away with it....? I think the 9' 8 wt. NRX is too much stick for Erie - this is coming from a guy who fishes Erie but has never as much as cast the NRX. But I wouldn't use my Native Run on the Erie tribs either. Don't need an 8 wt. there.

Buy 'em both!!!

Cheers,
Mike.