The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Noworries is on a distinguished road
Default ok, how'd I do?

First thanks for the input on helping me with buying my first outfit. Now tell me how'd I do. I got a white river 5 wt. 8' med. fast rod, a Hobbs creek wide arbor reel, & an old fisherman around here told me to get Cortland WF 6 F. As soon as the temp. gets out of the triple digits I'm heading to the back yard for pratice, pratice, practice.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: ok, how'd I do?

Putting a 6wt line on a 5wt rod is a practice known as overlining. Its common and popular, but often not the best set up. Overlining a rod reduces the distance you will be able to cast because it flexes the rod more than it was designed for.

It is true that some rods truly do perform better when overlined, but I used to work for Bass Pro, and I've never seen a rod of theirs (white river brand) that needed to be overlined.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

But ya, that rod should do pretty well to get you started. Being a little shorter, it should help you accurately throw poppers into the spots where the bass and bream are hanging out.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Noworries is on a distinguished road

Thanks BC, when you say it will shorten my distance. How far am I looking at?
I'm guessing 30 to 40 ft. is what I'm going to try to work with. I do suppose I could get another spool for the 5wt...humm or maybe 2 & have one for 4wt. Maybe I'll learn to use what I got 1st.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Noworries,

Overlining an extra fast action rod does work well in some cases. I don't think the White River rods are extra fast action rods. Underlining a rod usually will end up with problems. You are a new fly fisher and getting a good balanced rod and line is important. I would not buy a 4wt line for your 5wt rod. You could cast it but why bring in another variable. Over the past years the rod manufactures have made a big effort to provide balanced rods and lines. Experimenting with different line weights is not something a beginner should be doing until they develop their casting stroke. Go slow at first or you might have to change your name to "Lotsaworries".
Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

over/under lining is "...common and popular..." i would say only in certain segments, basically experienced people who KNOW how their rod casts with its rated line and KNOW how to adjust the casting characteristics by fiddling with line properties.

this is a new rod, you're new to fly, like frank said stick with the rod's rated line, a 5wt. fish it for a season. then you can start researching about over and under lining. but build up your foundation first.

eric
fresno, ca.