The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Any Sage TCR Fans?

WOW! I cast one for the first time last week and was extremely impressed. I know that many out there view this rod as too fast, period, but I loved it. I thought it had just enough flex at 30' to feel what I needed, but had no trouble booming a 100' cast either. I will readlily admit that I am not the best caster out there, and will also admit to being one of the gorillas who benefits from the stiffer rods, but wow.

I would just love to hear any opinions from those who have cast it as I trust/value the opinions of those on this board very highly.

I should also add that the one I cast was the 8wt. I will also give you my preferences before casting this rod. In order: 9' 8wt Powell Tiburon, 8'6" 8wt Sage RPLXi, and then the 9' 8wt Sage XP. I should also add that my "big" rod of choice is a Scott Heliply 8'8" 9wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Sage TCR Fans?

No question about, Sage builds a great rod ... The TCR is a good one. Throw the TCR along side of a St. Croix Legend Elite and tell me what you think...

If you like very fast rods, as I do, have you ever tried a G.Loomis Mega Taper? They are gone now but still available... The Mega were all 8.5-feet in length.

My favorites by Sage include the RPL and the RPLX ... The RPL is an 8-foot 5-weight you would have to pry from my dead hands.

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Doug, I would be happy to cast any rod I have access to but those just haven't been accessible to me yet. I need to go to Flint and cast a bunch of Steve's rods. I think I hear the echo of a 7wt ECHO calling my name, or maybe that's the 8' 5wt Diamondglass...

Old 03-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Cast Like A Pro

Cliff,

Funny you should mention the Diamondglass 8-foot, 5-weight. I'm in the middle of a review of that rod right now ... My impressions are all favorable ... Simply a lovely rod, especially when paired with Cortland's Sylk Classic 444.

Echo is a rod I know nothing about ...

Doug

www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 03-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I have fished the eight foot four weight in the Diamondglass. I love that rod. I am looking at a 7.5 foot three weight right now that I am considering buying. I would love to know what a TCR casts like but I cannot even afford to wiggle one of those in the shop.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Cast Like A Pro

Curtis,

I would be tempted to go with the 3-piece, 7-foot version with a DT line ... What a nice packable package it makes, and with a delightful action. Of course, I don't think you can go wrong with either flavor. I happen to have a Hardy Retro in a 4-weight, 7-foot flavor and the actions are very much alike.

Doug

www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 04-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Curtis I'm glad to hear you've fished one. I have two minor hesitations keeping me from getting the D'glass.

Looking at the weight of the rod, I'm concerned that it might feel heavy. However it might be that the weight in the butt section of the rod helps it balance well enough to not feel all that heavy. What do you think?

Second, while I expect my average cast with the rod to be 20-35 feet, I also would like to be able to boom out 70 if needed. I might be really annoyed if there's not enough power deep in the rod to throw that far. I also realize that the fiberglass might actually make it a better rod for shooting line than the average graphite rod. What do you think about that situation?

I'm glad that I can get both your opinion and Doug's on this rod.

On the TCR, I suppose I could afford the rod itself if I really talked myself into it, but I sure don't want the divorce that might come with it.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Cast Like A Pro

The Diamondglass isn't designed to be a boomer. In fact, Diamondback brought the series out as trout rods designed for smaller waters. Ed Story of Feather-Craft told me of a wealthy friend who fished the Diamondglass 5-weight for a couple of months in Montan waters and now won't fish anything else. That's when I decided to do a review.

The entire series enjoys what I would call a medium action. Cortland describes these rods as light, responsive, accurate and uniquely sensitive ... I fully agree.

The light weight is surprising. For example, the 7-foot 3-weight I mentioned to Curtis weighs about 3.3 oz. The 8-footer I am currently reviewing comes in at 3.5 oz. In my hands, the 5-weight easily reaches 65-feet (measured) and I might be able to press it a little further, depending on the specific line used; however, in the 30 to 55-foot range, it's deadly.

Cliff, I truly believe that fiberglass is at it's best in shorter lengths ... and that doesn't mean they will not throw a long line. Tell you what, I will start a new thread on my favorite rod that you might find of interest...

Doug

www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 04-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

The D-glass will throw the length if needed if you learn the timing on that rod. The cool thing is that this rod does ALL the work. You just need to put it where it needs to be. The rod is very well designed and ready to throw line. THe four weight I used was able to cast 60' of line without any issue. THey are not really designed for great big water and double hauls but for smooth casts that make you want to just snip the fly off and watch the line for a while. They do not feel heavy at all. I think their action is more parabolic then medium but not so slow as to be "clunky" like some of the older glass. Check one out, you will be nicely surprised. Plus, they are dang nice to look at too.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, alright, I think this rod will be the next one. I just wish I lived in Boerne instead of Useless, TX. (Euless, 'burb of Foat Wurth) The thing will be the absolute perfect Hill-Country rod.

I've actually already got a half used up wf5f SA XPS that I plan to cut back the tip on that I will use until the Sylk bug bites me hard. Some guy decided it was used up and he wanted me to throw it away, I decided to throw it in my pocket.

Doug, could you describe to us what all tests and trials you put a rod through in the process of doing one of your reviews? Do you think your methods are typical of other gear reviewers out there in our industry? We all understand if you need to leave out any secret methods that give you an advantage over your peers.