The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 PM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough
Default Requirements: Used, Good, Available, Cheap. Any advice?

I have a bunch of equipment (I've posted about it here) that I inherited from my grandfater. I feel very lucky. There are 8 rods and reels ranging from 5-9 weight. I plan to use the inherited stuff extensively but...There are 2 things that make me think I would like to buy a few used rods of my own.

1. I dont want to break a piece of family history
2. All the rods I have are 2 piece and less "portable"

I dont really believe that a brand new 2012 Rod can possibly be that much more advanced than lets say a 2002 rod or a 1992 rod. I know if you go back far enough stuff starts going back up in value because of its rarity. But I would think that a 10 year old nice condition rod could be both good and affordable.

I am looking for sugestions on rods that fit the following criteria:

1. Good quality equpment

2. Enough were sold that the brand/model could be found on ebay fairly easily with a few weeks worth of searching

3. They are a bargain compared to what they cost new.

I'm not looking for a $2000 rod that is now the low price of lets say $800. I'm envisioning a $500 1998 rod that now sells in good condition for $100. Is this crazy?

Chris
Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Requirements: Used, Good, Available, Cheap. Any advice?

Not crazy at all; in fact try a 2011 rod that costs $525.00 which I purchased last September on ebay for $179.00! Granted those deals don't happen everyday but if you're watching forums, ebay etc. for even a few weeks those great deals are out there. Try anything Sage, Orvis and other good names.

-John
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Not crazy at all; in fact try a 2011 rod that costs $525.00 which I purchased last September on ebay for $179.00! Granted those deals don't happen everyday but if you're watching forums, ebay etc. for even a few weeks those great deals are out there. Try anything Sage, Orvis and other good names.

-John
Wannafish is spot on, patience is the name of the game. I believe the regular writers on the forum would answer a question in PM about the price of a used rod being a good buy, without bidding against you. Just don't wear them out with to many PM's.

Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The guys have it nailed, if you want I'll send you a message telling you what I keep on my watch list all the time. I have recommended rods to members before and they told me they were more concerned with a 100% warranty than getting a vintage rod at a good price............... Perhaps my thinking is too simple but if you can pick up a gem for a song why would you not protect it from breakage? Tubes are a beautiful thing.

Ard

PS. Have you looked through our own classifieds yet?
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 02-01-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i picked up, on this forum, both a 5wt St Croix rod and complimentary reel (okuma i believe) for less than $130.
Ard is right, keep your eye on the forum classifieds - i know from just cruising the last few days there are a number of good quality rods for sale here. I even saw a $500 fiberglass rod, which was in nearly new condition, offered for less than half that.
If rods are offered here, sure some will sell fast, but a lot of times, waiting is the name of the game to get the best price, particularly if someone really wants to sell it.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi Chris,

I’d be more inclined to suggest a few rod models if I had an idea which length, weight and action types you prefer and the applications you intend on using them for. While the past ten to twenty years has seen many fantastic rod series, not every rod in those series was a winner. There are always standouts in any rod series, so a little more background on what you're looking for, might help prime the pump.

I completely understand your interest in older series, I still keep my eye out for a few specific models myself. Yet I also know that technology trickles down and for what one of the better rods of the 90's or 00's in good to excellent condition will bring today, you can purchase some current models at or below those prices and of course the new rods would carry the consumer benefits of being the original owner. This is not to say that all of the current rods in the price range that I'm thinking of are on par with the " Best Of ", but some are every bit as good, in some cases better than their top shelf predecessors of ten or twenty years ago.
Ferreting out those, matching your preferences to parking lot performance will of course take some time.

TT
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The guys have it nailed, if you want I'll send you a message telling you what I keep on my watch list all the time.
I'd really appreciate that. Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hi Chris,

Id be more inclined to suggest a few rod models if I had an idea which length, weight and action types you prefer and the applications you intend on using them for. While the past ten to twenty years has seen many fantastic rod series, not every rod in those series was a winner. There are always standouts in any rod series, so a little more background on what you're looking for, might help prime the pump.TT
The last year or so I have been into warm water fishing. I have easy access to ponds and small lakes here in the Raleigh NC area. We also have some warm water rivers here that I am planning to get acquainted with in the next month or so. 5-7 weight mostly. I also want to get into some inshore salt water and fish for Albies, Red's and mabee some small Tarpon. As a result I will also look for some 8-10 weight salt stuff.