The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Rod Chart Old to New

Excellent post, thanks for putting this together.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There was a DS2 in the late 90s.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Sage Rod Chart Old to New

That GFL was a blank designation that meant Graphite Fly Rod and all blanks were GFL perhaps even unto today.

The RP (gen II Graphite) was the first "model," in the Sage Rods circa 1980 or soon after followed in or around 83 or soon after by the RPL or (Gen III Graphite) The LLs came along in or around 85 with the RPLX following in 86 and both were Gen III Graphite. Some time following these or perhaps the same year the RPL+ came out and then in 1994 the SP series hit the market followed by the SP+ in about a year. These were the highest modulous rods yet and built with Gen IV graphite and a new material called Durascrim.

In 97 they dropped back to Gen III I believe and the VPS, the SPL and the RPLXi came out and then in 99 the XP. In 2002 the SLT and TCR, and 2004 Xi2 were the first rods using G5 Gen5 Graphite technology. 2005 brough the TXL, Launch and the the Fli rods all G5 rods. 2006 brought the VT2 replacing the VPS not mentioned above but which came out in the late 90s.
2007 Z Axis. 2008 Bass Series and the ZXL. 2009 the TCX.

Whew too many years have passed since I first sold Sage!!! On a side note the Gen IV super fast modulus graphite was the highest modulous rod since Fenwick intro'd the Iron Feather and as best I recall both were a Don Green design as he'd come to Sage in 79/80 from Fenwick/Grizzly.
dean_mt likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

This is a great thread. I'm personally very interested in Sage rod history and have started collecting older Sage models. This is the first list that is as comprehensive as this.

Just a couple of observations, the XP and the SLT did "drop back" to GIII technology but the graphite is GIIIe. I'm assuming the "e" has some significance for point of discussion, especially since it replaced the GIV and the only line of rods that incorporated Durascrim. I personally don't know what it means.

The LL rods were also rolled with GIII blanks but I don't know when they switched from GII to GIII.

The VPS and the VPS Light were added to the discussion. My understanding of the VPS Light is that it was built with the same taper and design as the GIII LL rods, with lesser components. So yes, it is a "lower end" rod, so to speak, the description of the action would be moderate. I'm not sure on the straight VPS.

There is much I don't know. Your list helps!

Cheers,
Mike.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Just adding a bit to the data base.

As Mike points out, there were two different Sage LL series releases. The first was out somewhere during the run of the graphite II RP and its blank stated that it was graphite II. The second was introduced during the run of the graphite III RPL ( Reserve Power Light ) and it’s blank also stated it was graphite III. If you had both generations of LL’s say in a nine foot, five weight configuration you’d be able to notice the butt diameter difference foreword of the cork ( The G II versions butt would be thicker ). The action of the graphite II LL was stiffer than it’s successor and the G II's were heavier. Actually, there were three LL series of rods, if we include the re-release of select models ( I think the 389-3 or 389-4 was one of them ) of the G III's that were produced as a special run some years after the G III's were discontinued.

But then if we include those LL's, we might as well say that there were two XP series', since a special run of limited models were produced for two retailers ( One being Cabela's, a sponsor here ), well after the original XP's had been discontinued from the Sage line-up.

A rod that is missing from the list was only around for a short while. It was the MA series or Medium Action and was only available in a few models. It utilized an unsanded gray blank, and very simple hardware. It was basically an entry level rod that came in at around $125.00 mark. If memory serves, it was out near the end of the RP’s reign or possibly early in the RPL's time..

Then there is the one pictured here. It’s an early Graphite I series and it has no series designation. From memory, it predates the RP. For those that don’t know, the letter “B” that follows the word Graphite simply designates that it was produced to be sold as a Blank and not a factory finished rod. This particular blank was rescued from a closeout bin at Pete Wooley’s old shop, Fly Fishing Outfitters ( Now known as Leland’s, a sponsor here. ) in San Francisco, CA in 1985 and was built and fished for a few years. It’s currently slated for a rebuilt, whenever I get around to it….although I’ve been saying that now for quite a few years.

Bogged down in minutia, TT

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:13 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Great job on a great company whoes founders introduced the very first grahite rod in 1974 under the name, Fenwick HMG. Besides adding the SP, which was the top-of-the-line rod for a while, there was an extra-fast version called SP+ as well.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-15-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough

Do you have any more info about the fenwick HMG?. I inherited one from my grandfather but I can't find much about it.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough

Thanks to everybody. Here's the current updated list

Est Year Model Description
1980 GFL Stood for Graphite Fly Rod. Used alone and in conjunction with other model names for years. Not really considered a model name.
1982 RP Reserve Power for long Casts Graphite II
1982 LL Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line) Graphite II
1983 MA Medium Action Entry level unsanded grey rod with simple hardware
1985 RPL or Graphite III RPL Reserve Performance Light
1985 LL Graphite III LL
1986 RPLX Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 DS Discovery Series - Moderate Action Replaced the RP
1986 TH? Double Handed ?
1994 SP Generation IV Graphite with Durascrim
1995 SP+ Generation IV Graphite with Durascrim
1995 RPL+ Faster than the RPL. Would be considered moderately fast by todays standards
1997 VPS Replacement for the RPL Back to Gen III
1997 VPSL Replacement for the LL Gen III with lesser components
1997 SPL "Best of show" new rods*Gen III
1997 RPLxi Revised and improved saltwater*Gen III
1998 DS2 Lower Price point Graphite II or Graphite III Not even close to sure about the year
1999 XP Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action Gen IIIe
2002 SLT Medium Fast Action Gen IIIe
2002 TCR Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2003 LE Entry Price Point Rod
2004 Xi2 New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 TXL Near weightless for light lines G5
2005 Fli Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer G5
2005 Launch Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio*G5
2006 VT2 Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 Z-Axis Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 BASS Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 ZXL Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 TCX Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current ONE Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current VXP Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current Flight Great features and a great price
Current Vantage Medium Fast value rod
Current TXL-F Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current ZXL Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current Xi3 Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current 99 Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current BASS II Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current ESN Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies
Liphookedau, dean_mt and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread keeps getting better with all of the updated information. Anyone else think this would be a good sticky?
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I had two Launch series rods that I sold. I don't believe they were/are Generation 5 blanks.