The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Rod Chart Old to New

Good call Chi. I checked a Launch that I own and nowhere on the blank or tube cap does it say Generation 5, whereas both are marked as such on the Z-Axis. I seem to remember though, that they referenced G5 technology in the marketing description.

Did a little bit of digging and this is what I found:

Launch SERIES
Developing G5 Technology clearly demonstrated that the key to better casting is the ability to feel the rod load. With our Launch Series rods, we applied what we've learned to create a smooth, progressive power curve and an extremely high strength-to-weight ratio. This means Launch Series rods provide exceptional line connection or feel, allowing anglers to cast better and more easily.

So while not G5 Technology, they used what they learned from G5. Vantage is basically Launch 2.0.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:08 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hereís another one for your Sage Rod Chart Old to New Alphabet soup.

While itís not directly related to fly fishing, it is related to rods built by Sage.
The rod designation GSP or Graphite Spinning rod is another Sage rod. I remember them being made of G- III and in three piece configurations, but I donít remember if they were ever available in earlier G-II or later composites.
The also made casting rods for anadromous anglers, the CT series seen here: Sage Salmon and Steelhead Casting

I guess this means that even Sage recognizes thereís a time and place for spinning and casting gear.
TT
Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Good job on the chart, it was interesting. i have a couple of the rods on there, including two no longer in production. I LOVE SAGE!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hereís another one for your Sage Rod Chart Old to New Alphabet soup.

While itís not directly related to fly fishing, it is related to rods built by Sage.
The rod designation GSP or Graphite Spinning rod is another Sage rod. I remember them being made of G- III and in three piece configurations, but I donít remember if they were ever available in earlier G-II or later composites.
The also made casting rods for anadromous anglers, the CT series seen here: Sage Salmon and Steelhead Casting

I guess this means that even Sage recognizes thereís a time and place for spinning and casting gear.
TT
That's a first. I never knew Sage was producing casting and spinning rods. It's not on the Sage website though??
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM

Scott Kessler is on a distinguished road

My list and dates from Sage differ a little on these, along with a few additions:
SFL 1981
RP 1983
SFS 1983
2 HANDED 1984
LL 1987
MA 1988
EC 1988
RPL 1989
RPLX 1989
DS 1989
YOUTH 1991
SP 1993
RPLXi 1998
SPL 1998
SPL CA 1998
VPS 1998
SPIN 1998
XP 2000
SLT CA 2002
TCR 2003

Some of the dates where we are a year off may be due to when the rod was designed and shown to the industry but not available to the consumer yet? I think the list I have is when it was available to the consumer.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For the VPS and VPS Light, I think it would be more accurate to call them a "reincarnation" of the RPL and LL rather than a replacement, as I think there was a gap between the older rods being discontinued and the VPS rods being rolled out.

They were indeed mid-priced, as they had black aluminum seats instead of nickel silver, and slightly cheaper guides as well.

Does anybody remember the SPL Center Axis with the built-in reel?

Click the image to open in full size.

I always thought it was a neat concept.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa!
I had no idea they tried that. I'm guessing that's yours Cliff?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I guess the foot wont come loose on that reel seat!

"Generation 5 Technology" refers to a mysterious proprietary process Sage developed to maximize allignment of the individual carbon fibers along the axis of the blank. Further, they maintain, they can insert graphite of differing modulus in different sections of the blank as strength improving and flexural profile effecting attributes while maintaining this optimal alignmnet. At least this is how I understood what was explained to me but my training is not in material sciences or engineering. I can say, however, that from Z-Axis forward, Sage has achieved substantial improvments in rod communication regarding line-feel and super smooth taper transitions. They are doing something right.

The question was raised in another recent thread; are the new rods better than the older best-of-class in ther day rods? It is not to say that RPL or SP were not terrific rods but using Sage, Scott, G.Loomis, Orvis and T&T as examples, the answer is, Yes. Nothing is uniform though and a counterpoint might be that earlier Winstons were better designed and crafted than the current versions and, also with a change in ownership, Diamondbacks deteriorated then...dissapeared.

So it is not just aerospace industrial material innovation but old fashioned rod design and "heart" that go into producing the finest fly rods.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Whoa!
I had no idea they tried that. I'm guessing that's yours Cliff?
No, I found that pic on the ultralight forum. Its a zero weight, and the lightest I've got is a 3.

On the reel foot, I learned while looking at that forum thread that the reel was basically a regular 3100 series reel, but the adapter that attached to the rod went where a reel foot would normally go.

I suppose if one were/knew a skilled machinist, you could make up a rod handle rig like that and use most any reel with it.

I think a TXL-F 2 weight with a Sage Click reel attached that way would be pretty damn slick.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Only one that caught my eye was:

1986 -DS? -Spey ?
1986 -TH? -Double Handed ?

There was a 'precursor,' in 1984 appears the 'original Brownies' were designed by Loop (Goren A), rolled there and built up on Bainbridge Island. Great thread going on this subject on the SpeyPages.

fae