The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Rod Chart Old to New

<>
Back up.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another update to your Sage Rod Chart, the Sage LE series was missed. introduced in late 2003. For complete Sage history contact Mr. Chris Anderson at Sage directly email RAnniebee at aol.com

Larry
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredy View Post
Dont forget the SP not sure when it came into the scene, late 80's early 90's?
I bought an SP around 1996, I don't remember seeing it in 1991, just the RPL and LL.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Without re-reading this vibrant thread, has SP+ been mentioned? It was wicked fast.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Great job on a great company whoes founders introduced the very first grahite rod in 1974 under the name, Fenwick HMG. Besides adding the SP, which was the top-of-the-line rod for a while, there was an extra-fast version called SP+ as well.
I understand from reading the history of Hardy, that they (Hardy) was the first manufacturer to patent the graphite rod.
I had a mint Fenwick HMG World Class 9'-0" 6 weight that was a dream to cast. A friend of mine was in need of a rod and I gave it to him. He loves it and still fishes it today. Good rods are easy to acquire, friends are not!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

OK, I am glad I previously referred to SP+, a dense but important rod. I am not a lawyer or patent aware person, however, patents aside , Fenwick definitely had the first graphite rod available to the public in 1974. If there is evidence to the contrary, I would seriously like to know about it.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

S & S, just something that I read on the internet while doing a little research on Hardy. I have contacted a Hardy expert on the UK site to confirm it is is indeed fact or not. Will let you know what I find out.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Anglers Pro on the east coast also had a extra run of XP's done for them near same time as Cabela but they had more selections, I think they still have some in stock and every once in a while they run them at 399.00, but usually listed at 499.00.

Method and Motive can be added to that on-going list now too.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:59 PM

The Sage Fly Fishing Story

Est Year Model Description
1982 -RP -Reserve Power for long Casts
1982 -GFL? -Graphite II
1985 -RPL -or Graphite III RPL High Performance
1985 -LL -Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line?)
1986 -RPLX -Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 -DS? -Spey ?
1986 -TH? -Double Handed ?
1997 -SPL -"Best of show" new rods - SP and SP+ (fast version)
1997 -RPLxi -Revised and improved saltwater
1999 -XP -Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action
2003 -SLT -Medium Fast Action
2003 -TCR -Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2004 -Xi2 -New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 -TXL -Near weightless for light lines
2005 -Fli -Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer
2005 -Launch -Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio
2006 -VT2 -Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 -Z-Axis -Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 -BASS -Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 -ZXL -Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 -TCX -Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current -ONE -Flagship rod - Fast Action, super quick recovery
Current -VXP -Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current -Flight -Great features and a great price
Current -Vantage -Medium Fast value rod
Current -TXL-F -Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current -ZXL -Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current -Xi3 -Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current -99 -Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current -BASS II -Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current -ESN -Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies
and let's add:
Circa - like ONE Konnetic Technology but full flexing
Method - Konnnetic TCX replacement
SALT - Konnetic Xi3 replacement
wannafish likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:14 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Boy I love the RPL, SP, XP, and VXP series of sage rods, all very similar and IMO the kings of the "workhorse" rod category. Ode to the history of the leaders in fly rod innovation!!!