The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Handles

I don,t mind a bit of filler in the cork handle, but for-----sake make it waterproof. Excuse my French.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod Handles

Hi,

I don't understand what you mean.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM

You get a new rod, the cork looks great, 4or5 days later, all the filler is washed out, You say ,you don,t know what I mean, you must have one of those rods that has no filler in it, they are getting harder and harder to find. If the filler was waterproof, it would,nt wash out.Some rods are better than others, but you see a lot more filler used today than yeateryear.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

grousehunter: I didn't understand what you meant on the first post either. I guess I have never seen a rod handle like that, but for the last 30 years I have mostly used Orvis rods, with the exception of a Sage Z-Axis I bought this spring to throw streamers. I can see how you would be disappointed (I would be too), but maybe one of the rod builders on this forum has a repair solution for you.

Larry
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM

turner66 is on a distinguished road

grousehunter,

If you don't mind me asking, what rod do you have that has this problem? Under many manufacturer rod warranties, I believe the problem you describe would be classified as a manufacturers defect and would qualify for replacement.

I've not seen this problem before either (at least with various brands I have including Sage, Orvis, Redington, Greys/Hardy, St Croix, TFO, and a few others).

Cheers
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM

I have a Orvis Graphite unsanded, that one is perfect, no filler to be seen, I reacently sold a St Croix Legend Ultra, it also was perfect, nice job. I now have a new Vantage with filled holes and voydes, I never expected this ,not from s---. Alot of cheaper rods have a lot of filler, I read a article lately about filler being found in more s--- rods lately.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousehunter49 View Post
I have a Orvis Graphite unsanded, that one is perfect, no filler to be seen, I reacently sold a St Croix Legend Ultra, it also was perfect, nice job. I now have a new Vantage with filled holes and voydes, I never expected this ,not from s---. Alot of cheaper rods have a lot of filler, I read a article lately about filler being found in more s--- rods lately.
Hmm, I hope this comes across as the way I intend it to (helpful), and not condescending or elitist. Please bare with me through the first paragraph...

The Vantage, although a fine rod, is a value price point rod for Sage. It does not use the same cork nor is the grip constructed in the same manner as the cork grip on the Z-Axis, ZXL, 99, etc, which are higher price point rods. The Vantage (and VT2 and Flight) grip is a preformed and predrilled grip (non-tapered) as opposed to the higher price point rods which are laid on the blank in rings with each ring drilled to fit the blank taper. Also, the cork grade is a lower grade on the Vantage/Flight/VT2 which does require more filling. Sage filler is cork dust mixed with glue.

How do I know this you ask? Well, I have called and talked to their technical staff several months ago when I was in the market for a new rod. I'm a "techie" kind of guy and like to know all the trivial details They are indeed very knowledgable and friendly folks, proud of their product, and they invited me to tour their facilities if I ever get to the area. I'm positive they would offer the same to anyone.

I can also assure you that they will take care of you and back their product 100%. How can I be so sure? Well, I just called them today to answer this very specific question for you, and to satisfy my own curiosity about their commitment and customer service. They've told me that the glue, while water based, is not water soluble, but if the void wasn't filled correctly, the filler can sometimes flake out (although not a common occurance). They would have no problem fixing this for yourself, or anybody else.

Finally, I also submit that the rod building industry standard top grade cork (CG1 or AAA or whatever each supplier labels it) is 90-100% void free, so even with top grade cork on the best rods, there will still likely be some (albeit minor) filler. To me, it's not about whether there is filler, or not; it's more about the quality of how the job was done. As far as I can tell, Sage is willing to stand behind the quality of their workmanship and make it right for you.

I am not a dealer, I have no affiliation with Sage, and I own many different brands, so this is not about backing Sage. I'd just like to see a fellow fly fisherman find a solution and enjoy his gear I hope you find satisfaction.

Cheers
Old 07-07-2010, 05:03 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

That is some great info.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:18 PM

turner66; Thats good stuff, I kinda fiquered that the lower end rods would be a bit differant than the top of the line, I can understand that. I love this rod, I have had many and trout fish more hours a day, every day, than a man has a wright to.

Now that I know the score, I would not trouble Sage with such trival matter, I can fix it myself if it gets any worst, I have done this before. I dont say filling a few cork cracks would void my warranty. I am very pleased with the rest of the rod,windings,reel seat etc.etc.So I can live with a few filled voids.

Thank you for time and trouble,GONE FISHEN.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM

No problem. I hope you show us some pictures of a fish on the end of that rod I certainly envy you if you are able to fish every day!

Cheers