The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree579Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Hi auntrout,

I'm glad you've enjoyed seeing all of the wonderful rods that the members have posted. Please forgive my not posting pictures at this moment but I've gotta say it.......... I have an addition to the rod crew!

I'm not sure why, probably because of the 'as new' condition of the rod but I just took delivery of a 1968 Orvis Full Flex fiber glass rod. Tube and rod are about as good as any of this vintage I've ever seen and I'll take some pictures of the rod along with the intended reel for it very soon. I don't have a 1968 Orvis reel to go with it so will use an early CFO IV until the right old Battenkill comes along.

I did cast it a bit and all I can say is .................... nice

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM

wolfhfac is on a distinguished road

what Orvis rod is that? The Superfine Touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Not a vintage rod, but I'm planning on making a lot of memories with this one. And, God willing, pass it on.

Click the image to open in full size.

von behr likes this.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I have not taken the time to photograph the new rod but I do have the pictures that were sent before I bought it. Other than the rod bag the 1968 Full Flex fiber glass is in mint condition. The bag is not original and I'm on the hunt so I can put a period correct bag on the rod. I have been casting it using a DT 5 weight and it is just what I expected. It works beautifully and I suspect it will work with a 4/5/6 line, it isn't fussy at all. I can't wait to take it to a small to medium creek for some fishing.

I'm going to use an old CFO IV reel with it because the balance is about as good as I'm gonna get with this reel. The two are really nice together and I'll get around to photographing then as a set. For now here's the rod,

Pretty much like a new 1968 Orvis fly rod

Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Ard,

Is the correct bag one of those tan Orvis bags with Trout images on it, or?

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

That's a sweet looking vintage Orvis made the same year as me What length is it ? Also did they come in a midflex as well ?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Hi Guys,

Paul, I have a 1964 bamboo salmon rod and I figure the bag is the same material. I either will find the correct material at the fabric store to make one or will ask orvis if they have any stuck in some dark corner. They seem to have a lot of depth when it comes to their old stock. I figure we'll (Nancy) end up making one, the velor bag that came with will do for now.............

Attila, They called this 6'6" rod a fast rod back then but by todays manufacturing standards it would be considered a full flex or slow rod. These come for sale regularly, some were made by the Phillipson Rod Company and others were actually fabricated by Orvis in their rod works. The Phillipson rods are usually called Golden Eagle for Orvis right on the butt inscription. They usually sell for 200 dollars and up depending on the year / model / and condition of the rod & hardware.

I am an Orvis aficionado but I prefer the old rods and their actions over the new. If you ever use old rods, pre 1986 you'll see what attracts me to them.

I'll post some pictures of rod and reel soon,

Ard

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Ard,

Post a pic of it, am always looking for Loomis bags of a certain type, will keep my eye open for the Orvis you need.

paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 04-03-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

that's a sweet vintage orvis rod you have there ard the condition is remarkable for a rod that old.
i too am constantly scouring the net for all kinds of ff stuff. if i find a vintage orvis rod sock i'll let you know.
cool rod

casey

ARFE
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Administrator

I'll post a pic of the bag tomorrow Paul, Thanks

Casey, don't for get those 2 rods I messaged you about. The 7'6" 5 weight is still new and I figure it's older than the Orvis I just posted. The salmon rod is the stuff, I may still get that....................

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am not sure if this classy old Orvis used the 3M glass technology that the Golden Eagles used but they were the first synthetic rods ever to employ uni-directional fibers; years before the Fenwick HMG of 1974. "Full Flex" at that time was not an alternative to mid or tip-flex and today's mid-flex is in fact full flex and tip-flex, mid-flex. Orvis strives to eschew truly fast action rods and have not had a lot of success when they have tried to develop them. An exception might be some of the "Western Series" rods of the mid-80's. If you want to hunt for an unusualy good older Orvis rod, look for an 8'9"/#5 2 pc. Western circa 1985. They were only built for two years or so before being replaced with the more popular 9' length model which was much inferior.