The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

The 1968 fiber glass was uni directional as were the first generation Graphite like my 79' Far & Fine. The graphite stayed the same until 1988 then the Gen 2 rods came out. I am a full flex rod person, I love them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Hi HR, I still have a Far and Fine too. You know your older Orvis rods like you do your Hardy Reels and I remember Phillipson too. Following reconstructive elbow surgery some years back I gave up most blind casting, largely giving the Atlantic salmon and steelhead a break. As a sight fisher more or less only now I have grown to prefer faster more technical rods than Orvis makes for my high line speed, super tight loop dry fly and bonefish presentation style. I deliver dry flies far more delicatly by turning the line and 15'+ leader over completly in the air while exicuting the reach and in-air mends before the fly alights on the surface. I can not tolerate line unfurling onto the water; I insist on laying it down after the fly has landed. Having said that, I am not parting with my sweet flexing older Orvis and Scott Pow-R-Ply rods despite my modern penchent for tecnical instrument like, un-forgiving of timing and stroke error Sage ONE and Loomis NRX type rods. I won't recomend them for swinging a weighted bunny fly or any subsurface fresh water application but for putting a Hendrickson dun right in a big browns feeding lane they are the greatest rods ever. S+S
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I've been waiting to take this thing casting, there's been plenty of work to do around the home since the snow melted but this evening I went to shoot some line.

Click the image to open in full size.

At 15 foot it's a lot of stick...............

This way there will be no more guessing about what it is.

This is the first I cast the rod on water and the first I've been casting this year so I had no fly tied to the leader, I'm not that silly I only piled up a couple casts and was able to hit 100' feet with ease. The line has a yellow section at the 65 - 68 foot mark so it's pretty easy to know how far you've cast, look for the yellow mark and then add 15' for the rod

I like it.
von behr and baseman1 like this.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

WOW! That is a thing of beauty there Ard! With the action you described and the hardware, man I am jealous!!!! That seat and the grips are classy man really classy! Now tie a fly on the bugger and make it bow to a king!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I could see the emblem on the first picture, then the telltale green blank with red trim and the script made it certain to be a Winston, long before you ended the suspense! That's a real beauty, Ard. I don't own one, but it is my dream. Someday...
Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Hi John, Hi Bill

Buy used, that's what I did I would have to be being paid a lot of money to fish before spending 900 dollars on a rod. The first owner had problems handling the rod and I can understand why. Having not cast since last October I was a bit rough around the edges but got control by keeping things short until I got the feel of the extra 2 feet of rod and the softer action. I can only imagine what happened if the original owner was buying this as a first Spey rod. I was told that the rod was purchased for a trip to Alaska to fish for salmon. From that I can guess it was loaded with a sink tip and a great big fly maybe even with some weight. That would be a nightmare unless you had pretty well mastered casting with a floating line and weightless flies before experimenting with the depth charge rigs

I think my guess is pretty close to what happened because when I received the rod I found it in like new condition, no soiling on the cork, no scuffs on the reel seat or hardware, but.................. The tip and the second section had some gnarly nasty chips on them from being hit with weighted flies or whatever. I had paid 425 for the rod with shipping so I quickly contacted the seller about returning it. The seller was willing to take it back, said he didn't know about the chips He was also conducive to my contacting Winston about the problem and willing to work with me because if it needed repair he would have to do it anyway............

I took some careful macro photographs and sent them to the winston rod repair shop. They told me to fix them with flex coat and not to worry. I managed to find a matching paint to color the flex coat with (remember one of these was gnarly, at the ferrule wrap) and after a slow build in the crevice created by the chip I finished it off using my little rod turner and a topcoat. You would need me to direct your eye directly to the repairs in order to find them now. The seller refunded me $40 for my labor & materials (what I ask for) making this a 385 dollar Winston Spey rod so I'll live with that until I have out grown the rod. When that day comes I'll probably keep it because at 14 & 1/4 ounces these will not become more popular

So that's the story behind the pictures, nothing in my life comes off easy but I keep on plugging away.

Ard

Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Hey Ard love the rod almost as much as the scenery! That dark green is my favorite rod color with the runner up being a dark brown.
Here's a pair of mine in their natural habitat.
krikau27 likes this.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful rod Ard!Another dark green one with the Quarrowhope you won't have any trouble with the gnarly nasty chips....
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Administrator

It'll be OK JP, I've got them mended.

Carl, you always take such nice pictures.

Ard

Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

what a beauty ard that is one nice looking rod you have got....always liked the winston green

casey

ARFE