The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree587Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM

phishsaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

This is my Sage Z-axis 940 and a Ross Evo III.
A present I gave myself last year :-)

Click the image to open in full size.
von behr likes this.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice rig that one,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

When did you get the new toy Ard? What reel will mount it?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:16 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Tis probably not appropriate to post a link to another forum, so I will have to get my own pictures up of my Custom TFO Finesse 2wt- Beautiful burled reel seat, custom flor grade portugese cork grip, nickel silver reel hardware, agate stripping guide, stainless snakes, and great complimenting green wraps.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hmmm agate stripping guides, I have a soft spot for them! Looking forward to seeing it, Newby!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
When did you get the new toy Ard? What reel will mount it?
You know I was after one of those last year; matter of fact it's what I wanted for my first long rod a few years ago but was shy to spend the money. I've been searching regularly and found that rod in relative unused condition. The seller believed it had not been used, I'll know when it arrives.............. Found it in the UK on a tackle sale, 1982 and as new I would guess that perching that hardy Cascapedia Mk II from the UK on it would make a sweet match up I've located an Ian Gordon long belly 770 grain line at a good price and that should top it out. An international rig it'll be all from the Brits.

Those lines were news to me. It seems that up until a few years back (2005) Partridge of Redditch England was marketing them as an option to the Carron Jetstream lines. They (if you can find them) start at a 75' head and go up to 95' I believe. The 770 is a 75, until you get into the 900 grain range there are no 95 - 105 foot heads so 75 it'll be.

This last one will leave me with a 13' 9 weight LL Bean Streamlight with an Orvis Odyssey IV on it; the 15' Winston #11 rod with the Orvis Vortex 11/12 on it; and now this Hardy rod & reel set. The idea is (I think) to have extra rods for when someone wants to try the long approach.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:21 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Too cool! As for the reel choice I should have actually read the first post instead of drooled over it!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Administrator

WT,

Ya know if I had the dough I would have one of those Saracione Alta Salmon reels for that big Winston, but.......

They are American made but one of them costs about $1500 delivered and that would gas that boat for a couple years. You still thinking about going over to Pennsylvania? PM if so,

Ard

Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 AM

I hear you but what does the Saracione do that the Vortex doesn't, so long as the weight and the backing capacity are where they should be along with a good drag you got two killer combos now. If you can't tell, yeah I'm jealous! Not only do yo have some sweet rigs but you have the water to use them on and the fish to bend them!!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Administrator

The Hardy Spey rod is here already!

It is like the pictures show, like new but old. I will wait until I use it to take pictures but it is a nice rod. The big mystery will be the action. I'm hoping that because of its age it will be slow to medium with a good full loading into the butt section.

This is the first of these old Hardy rods I've ever handled and I'm pretty stoked to try it, the Cascapedia 8/9 is at home when you mount it up. The front cork is really long, I didn't measure it but it looks to be 15" or better. It is a nice rod, dark gray taped graphite shafts with a varnish finish and black windings & scarlet whippings on every wrap. I'm happy with this and for all who might think you've got to spend a ton to have some cool sticks; I paid $248.00 for this which is probably less than it cost in 1982 new.

I placed the thread about buying used rods because I think many of us miss out on some great vintage rods because they don't come with a replacement program. I'll be careful with this you can bet.

And Bill, the Vortex is good enough for me. I just like touching that 1500 dollar reel whenever I go to the shop that has it

Ard
swirlchaser and caseywise like this.