The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree542Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

One of my newest builds... The rod is built on a no name 12' 7wt 4pc spey blank, since I don't do any spey fishing I decided to try it out as a 3pc 9' 9wt rod. The action is prtty fast but not broom stick fast and cast a outbound 9wt line(375gr) great. The blank has a very nice olive color that looks very similar to the GLoomis CC rods. I was so happy with the rod tha I'm building one for a buddy for his birthday and a second for myself. The best part of it is I am getting the blank kit wit all the components for $65 plus what ever the handle I choose to use costs. Just plain black wraps I've not ventured into the fancy stuff yet, I'm just happy to get the finish on the guides without getting a bunch of bubbles in it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I did those grips, thats crazy cool.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-10-2013, 05:33 PM

hauxon is on a distinguished road

My main gear for the last 5-6 years. Guideline LPXe 9ft 6wt, Guideline Reelmaster LA 6-8 reel and Airflo 40+ intermediate. Shot when everything was new and shiny

And finally a 3 kg brown from last summer and same gear in the background.

For this year I have exchanged the LPXe for a Fario of same size. Need to take some pictures of the Fario rod which is a beautiful rod.

Hrannar
Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Greetings Hauxon,

Welcome to the forum and WOW what a fish that is! Your's is the first Guideline rod & reel I've spotted here but I have been away and must do some back tracking to catch up.

Hope you'll stay with us, Iceland is an intriguing place.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-31-2013, 07:30 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

even a newb (me) can easily identify beauty in those rods.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
One of my newest builds...
Great looking rig, wiwf! I handled some grips like that at the rod builders show and was wowed by how light weight they are. Being ready made they were a little expensive for what I had in mind. The maker had those grips in all sorts of colors and patterns. When I picked them up it struck me... candle sticks!
The colors and patterns were so cool I was going to buy some as candle sticks, mount the on some sort of base to give as gifts to my wife and others. The prices brought me back down to Earth. I would prefer grips like the one you have. That beast is way cool.
Have you fished the rig much yet? I wonder how that glossy finish feels and grips when sweaty or wet. I would hate to cast it right into the drink?

Have you ever reversed that Abel Arm or whatever it is holding your reel. By the balance point you're holding the rod at it looks to be a bit tip heavy. Moving the mass back will give that rig a whole new feel.

Thanks for the eye candy on this Easter evening.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Last fall / early winter I added 2 rods into my salmon / trout collection. I'll post the second in a while but start off with this one.

I chose a 13' Hardy Marksman 2 T in 13' 8 weight and am happy with the way they are making the rods. I haven't been able to fish with it yet but expect to go within a week.

The package starts off with a tube bag over and protecting a nicely finished powder coated rod tube. Inside the tube your rod is of course protected in a well made rod sock.

The reel seat is totally different than any of my old rods and the knurled locking rings spin freely on the threaded hardware.

Fit & finish is good quality all around and the only gaps I found in the cork are the 2 at the neat little trim ring on the rear or bottom cork.

In keeping with the traditional way that Hardy does things the rod sections are provided with ferrule plugs for all female ferrules, a nice touch for sure. While ferrule plugs are not really needed they impart a certain old school quality to a good rod.

The reel seat has a good solid and smooth fit and here you see it fit with the reel that I will use with this rod already loaded with a 690 grain 55' head.

I'm ready to get this season going here
Jackster, fysh, von behr and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-23-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow ard!
fine looking hardy you have there
those ferrule plugs are a classy touch.
now post its mate on the reel love thread

casey

ARFE
Old 04-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Opps,

Forgot the picture with reel................. (added it) thanks for the nudge Casey. Same old reel just a new rod. The other rod I'll post has a new reel with.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I feel a bit whimpy ,,what with Ard's 'Wand of God' he posted LOL,,,(btw,,IMPRESSIVE looking rod, Ard !) but here is my 8ft 6in , 3wt Orvis Superfine that arrived today,,,with the Orvis CFO I got from Casey. I did just a wee bit of 'yard casting',,,and it's soft,,,sooo soft. With a bit of lite breeze to contend with, I could still lay a reasonably good touch out to about 45ft. Today, that was about my limit,,,it 'might' improve with getting to know the rod,,but that's still dang decent in my book for a slow flex 3wt.

jaybo41 and caseywise like this.