The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Picked this Goodwin Granger Champion from the classifieds... It was love at first sight.. This rod is sexy... Went out and gave it a cast today and popped my bamboo cherry... What a feeling... The age and history of the rod along with the action of this rod makes it quite the delight to cast... Takes you back to a time when things were simpler and moved by slower

Click the image to open in full size.
Hi! I just saw that rod on the Classic Fly Rod forum. Looks sweet, congratulations! Makes me get all excited again about getting my broken tip Edwards restored. Cool. Doesn't compare to yours of course but my first fly rod was a mass produced Horrocks-Ibbotson that I paid $4 at a garage sale (buyer and seller probably both got a good deal 25 years ago when I was in high school) I just got it out last weekend to cast it in the backyard a bit. Thats good fun!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Well I've only bought one rod this year, and its kinda making me upset. So to cure that Im working a deal with the local shop on his demo 7wt TCX. Its one way to get an excellent price on a very high end rod. I will use it as my carp stick for now I suppose.
Hardyreels likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 AM

ruttness will become famous soon enoughruttness will become famous soon enough

my orvis clearwater 2 8'6" 5#

Hardyreels, jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've always admired the Diamondback rods. How does it compare to the Orvis Clearwater?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I've always admired the Diamondback rods. How does it compare to the Orvis Clearwater?
it is a much faster rod, and has a bit more feel and sensitivity
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

In an effort to keep the Rod Love thread healthy I'm adding a couple photos. The rod is my 1968 Orvis Full Flex 6'6" fiberglass. Although the rod is rated as a 6 weight it will cast really well with a 4 - 5 or #6 line. I use a #5 line and a 1983 CFO IV on it. Together this makes a really nice outfit and for small stream wet fly fishing it is an effortless casting rod.

I fished all day with my Nine Three variants as the flies and used a 24" Beartooth Montana Braided lead head to keep my fly deep. The rod is small and light at 2 3/4 oz. but will handle trout up to 2 foot if you can keep them on the hook.

Recently I've had a run of large fish coming off the hook on me. This is the creek I've been fishing with this outfit.
imxer, jaybo41, labtrout and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I will have a picture to show this afternoon since my wife wont be home and i'll have time to hide it....my 7wt TCX went home with me today

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 AM

New stuff!!!

Its casts like a total beast. I put my 8wt reel and line on it and was just fine. I would like better line for it though so I will get another reel and line to match
krikau27 and baseman1 like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Those TCX's sure are pretty rods. Congratulations on the purchase.