The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree584Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Nice,

What length and weight?

I'm still using the Hardy Marksman 2 - T series and really liking it .......... Let us know how you like the rods.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

The spey is a 12'9 5 weight. And the single hand is an 8'7 5 weight. The single hand had a slight curve to the right in the tip, so I sent it back. However, the rod felt great. I mainly wanted to show off Steve's work. It's called his velocity taper. Since I sent it back, I ordered a winston b3x 5 weight with the full wells grip. I'm like an impatient kid, waiting for the rod...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:22 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Still my favorite rod, wish I got to use it more, but it's a bit of a hike to appropriate waters from where I live. Loomis GL2 7'6" 4wt:

Click the image to open in full size.
imxer, caseywise and baseman1 like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I acquire at least one new rod every year. When I extol the exceptional virtues of a rod, normally I write of its advanced technology, flawless tip recovery and exceptional performance. The rod I selected to fish this past weekend was built in 1989 of modest modulus graphite. It is an Orvis, Vermont-built Western Series 8'/#4 2pc. perfectly balanced with a Hardy-built CFO IV and SA Mastery Trout. It was considered by Orvis to be a faster action rod when introduced in the 80's and, compared to co-existing models like Far&Fine, Trout and All Rounder, it was. By contemporary standards, however, it is very much medium in action. It flexes well into its mid section and has fairly slow tip recovery, not quite as slow and deep as Orvis "Superfine" models which it physically resembles, it is far more presentation capable than such languid actions with some reserve in its lower taper...enough to hold a good amount of line in the air and generate well formed loops as long as one keeps power application in check and slows timing down a bit.

Click the image to open in full size.

I fished it in an obscure Connecticut environment where modest sized fish were plentiful and technical requirements not too critical. What a joy it was to fish with a gentle rhythm rewarded with regular hook-ups; relaxing summer fishing with a sweet old rod that has survived the test of time. I loved it when it was new for streams like the Willowemoc and Farmington and still do.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:17 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

caber, those old g2's were nice sticks
and thats a beautiful rig as well s&s.

ARFE
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You just can't beat the old Orvis graphite rods. I fished Saturday & Sunday with my 7'9" Far & Fine for pike. The rod will toss a very large Pike fly and a wire bite tippet with less effort than my 9' 9 weight. I caught a bunch of small pike but the duck eater still evades my efforts. I have every bit of confidence that when I hook the big boy (or girl) the rod will handle the task.
yonder likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Casey, you have a serious obsession. You need professional help, pard. And I'll watch over them fine rods while you recover ! LOL

Joni, that mount is awesome ! Just ,,mind bending pretty. And the fishing gear is niceee too. Was it hooked left handed ?

Mike
Joni and caseywise like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

This is not healthy......I should refrain.........but I.............can't..........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Lite full flex rods like the Superfine or the Winston WT are like artist brushes. Some will just never be able to use them correctly. But for the ones that can, it doesn't get any better.
Joni, von behr and yonder like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Lite full flex rods like the Superfine or the Winston WT are like artist brushes. Some will just never be able to use them correctly. But for the ones that can, it doesn't get any better.
I sincerely believe that it all comes down to.......shall we say......."experience"..........not trying to sound arrogant....................

Or could it mean that I am ready to confess to being a dreaded....."dry fly purist????"..........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton