The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree560Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

The most recent rod to be dropped on the porch, just yesterday. It's a Beulah Guide series(now named the Classic series) 9' 6wt, picked it up cheap and after testing in the yard I'm pretty happy with it. It's a beast of a 6wt, a flat out rocket launcher.

Shown mounted to an Abel Super 5.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by wishiniwerfishin; 02-15-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
That should get you one hell of a cast. Do you have to register it with the FAA to warn low flying aircraft?

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I have that rod on the wall and have to admit, I think I fished it twice in 2 years. How do you like it?
I always take the Flight with me; I can't cast it as well as my 9wt in the wind but it sure feels light after casting the 9wt for a few hours. I think I'll like it better when I get a better line for it; using a Rio Mainstream line on it for now.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I always take the Flight with me; I can't cast it as well as my 9wt in the wind but it sure feels light after casting the 9wt for a few hours. I think I'll like it better when I get a better line for it; using a Rio Mainstream line on it for now.
I bought mine because I was impressed with the weight but I never seem to have the right application for it. All of my warmwater fishing is done with a 6 or 7 and it doesn't have enough backbone for fishing the salt. I guess I need to take up Steelheading. It's a true 8wt do Rio lines might be a little heavy. I cast a Sage performance taper on mine.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
It's a true 8wt do Rio lines might be a little heavy. I cast a Sage performance taper on mine.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready to buy another line.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Some great looking set up in this thread. For some reason i have never thought to have my fly rod be one of the main focuses when i am taking a picture of a landed fish. Also, i dont have any really cool set up photos of my rods and my camera isnt that great anyways. That being said, here are some of mine...

My newest rod. My fathers wife gave it to me, it used to be her dads. It came with an old beat up Pflueger medalist reel with some really old line on it. I would like to find a nice reel for it but it doesnt seem right putting a new reel on it for some reason. It is a Heddon brand 3pc. The old timers at the fly shop tell me it is about a 7wt.

This is the rod i am most excited about right now. My summer steelhead/Bull trout/Carp rod. Echo Ion 7wt w/Echo Ion reel.

My new tuna rod and future tarpon rod(hopefully). Look at this thing! It is a beast! A beautiful blue color. Echo 3S 12wt w/Echo Ion reel.

Here is the rod that i learned to cast on. I got a lot of appreciation for Redington because of this simple starter rod. Red.Fly2 6wt w/ Ross CLA reel.

And my favorite rod of all i own. My Sage Flight 5wt w/Bauer Jr McKenzie reel. Here you also see my little assistant. She is always present when i am at my PC or learning to try flies. She is full grown and all of about 3 lbs soaking wet. I have been thinking, some of that long grey hair of hers would be a nice color for a big bull trout leech.

I have a few more rods, i may try a few more photos. I know one thing now, after seeing a number of pictures of them i want one of those Allen rods with the sweet shiny green reels. Very sexy.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Some great looking set up in this thread. For some reason i have never thought to have my fly rod be one of the main focuses when i am taking a picture of a landed fish. Also, i dont have any really cool set up photos of my rods and my camera isnt that great anyways. That being said, here are some of mine...

My newest rod. My fathers wife gave it to me, it used to be her dads. It came with an old beat up Pflueger medalist reel with some really old line on it. I would like to find a nice reel for it but it doesnt seem right putting a new reel on it for some reason. It is a Heddon brand 3pc. The old timers at the fly shop tell me it is about a 7wt.

This is the rod i am most excited about right now. My summer steelhead/Bull trout/Carp rod. Echo Ion 7wt w/Echo Ion reel.

My new tuna rod and future tarpon rod(hopefully). Look at this thing! It is a beast! A beautiful blue color. Echo 3S 12wt w/Echo Ion reel.

Here is the rod that i learned to cast on. I got a lot of appreciation for Redington because of this simple starter rod. Red.Fly2 6wt w/ Ross CLA reel.

And my favorite rod of all i own. My Sage Flight 5wt w/Bauer Jr McKenzie reel. Here you also see my little assistant. She is always present when i am at my PC or learning to try flies. She is full grown and all of about 3 lbs soaking wet. I have been thinking, some of that long grey hair of hers would be a nice color for a big bull trout leech.

I have a few more rods, i may try a few more photos. I know one thing now, after seeing a number of pictures of them i want one of those Allen rods with the sweet shiny green reels. Very sexy.
She looks like she could produce some fantastic dubbing. I'm just saying...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:18 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I have to bring this back up. i got my line for it today. Rio 6WF Outbound Short and came home and did some practice casting.......... this dancing frog only begins to express my happiness with this rod. I had all 30 feet of the head out and casting down the yard and didnt even realize it until i noticed my line had turned to white. Im going to enjoy fishing this soooooo much.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Sage makes purdy rods...a 3rd one will be joining the herd soon

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

My friend's custom Meiser, artsy fartsi'fied.

Next time I see it I'll try to take a picture that does it justice. This was a salvage job. Purty reel though.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

another shot of my old launch.

i have always liked this rod.

casey

ARFE