The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Backcountry is on a distinguished road
Question Sage Launch vs. Echo Classic 6 wt.?

It's been almost 30 years since I've done any fly fishing -- poppers for sunfish using an old 7'10" Shakespeare with 7 wt. line. Have spent the years since spin and baitcasting in South Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas. Moved to western North Carolina recently and want to get back into some fly fishing. I have my choices narrowed to Sage Launch, Echo Classic, or possibly a TFO TiCr. Fly shops in this region carry most of the major brands (Albright, Sage, Scott, St. Croix, TFO, Winston, etc.). The one rod I can't get my hands on readily is the Echo. Nearest dealer is in Charleston, SC and I just don't have the time to get down there right now. So...in the meantime, thought I'd get some opinions (researching the choices is almost as much of an obsession as is the fishing!!).

Of the Sage Launch and Echo Classic (Echo I):
1. Which is better loading at short distances?
2. Which is more accurate at short/moderate distances?
2. Which is better for distance casting?
3. Which has the softer tip?

I'm most interested in hearing from those who have cast these rods in a 6 wt. Thanks for any and all input.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:46 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Launch vs. Echo Classic 6 wt.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
It's been almost 30 years since I've done any fly fishing -- poppers for sunfish using an old 7'10" Shakespeare with 7 wt. line. Have spent the years since spin and baitcasting in South Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas. Moved to western North Carolina recently and want to get back into some fly fishing. I have my choices narrowed to Sage Launch, Echo Classic, or possibly a TFO TiCr. Fly shops in this region carry most of the major brands (Albright, Sage, Scott, St. Croix, TFO, Winston, etc.). The one rod I can't get my hands on readily is the Echo. Nearest dealer is in Charleston, SC and I just don't have the time to get down there right now. So...in the meantime, thought I'd get some opinions (researching the choices is almost as much of an obsession as is the fishing!!).

Of the Sage Launch and Echo Classic (Echo I):
1. Which is better loading at short distances?
2. Which is more accurate at short/moderate distances?
2. Which is better for distance casting?
3. Which has the softer tip?

I'm most interested in hearing from those who have cast these rods in a 6 wt. Thanks for any and all input.
6wt trout...shakes is what i started with 50 years ago after my south bend 6 1/2 spinning rod with a hardy taped to it...is it price point? if so look about for sage...winston old models for your needs but cast them then buy...IMHO no need to look to current pacific rim mechandise...look to old trout spec models on the high end...your are not pitching 9-11 wt with a pernmit or tarpon fly 80 feet into Dean ...e.g. sage xp 6wt
Old 08-28-2007, 03:31 AM

Backcountry is on a distinguished road

I plan to use the rod primarily for smallies and occasionally for trout.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

I have no experience with Sage, but have heard nothing but great things from them. I do own 3 Echo rods, a 3wt, 5wt, and a 9wt. The 5wt was the first rod I have ever owned (Flyrod) and I have to say that the performance is awesome. I dont have a lot of fly fishing experience to base my opinion off of, but will say that I believe this rod has helped me tremendously through the learning curve, and growth within this hobby.

HTH,

Bruce
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
I plan to use the rod primarily for smallies and occasionally for trout.
Smalls are tough guys IMHO...you need to cast different rods to fit your style...as primarily saltwater my rods are very fast tip...eg Sage TCR and Winston XTR...check out ebay for sage and winston and orvis watch the end pricing look for right price and also if you are not traveling two piece rods...then try and cast one of the rods...got merge your cast with the rod...unless you pick a rod then decide to change your style...a smallmouth guide I know uses the Sage XP 6 wt which is somewhat fast and not trouty slow...cast the rods before you buy...even if it might cost you 50 to 100 more to do so...but still look for specials... demos...old stock...obsolete models...as an example look at the orvis online site for sales go to an orvis store and try...it's been my experience that the store matches the home office online sale price for the same model...
Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Backcountry,

This is tough because you need power and distance for smallies but you need finesse and accuracy for trout. I don't know of any one rod that would be great for both. You might want to consider the Echo2 rod that comes with two tips. The soft tip won't be as slow as you might want but it may be a good compromise for you. The fast tip would be best for smallies. A 6wt would be better for smallies and will work for occasional trout. If you drop down to a 5wt it would be much better for trout but limit your ability to cast bigger poppers. I have not cast the Echo2 rods but they seem to be well liked by some on the board. Contact Steve (800-811-8211) at the Full Creel and talk to him about the Echo2 rods.

Another option is to call Feather Craft and tell them your requirements. They have cast all of the currant available rods and can give you some good information.

"Echo2 Freshwater fly rods were designed by Tim Rajeff to be the ultimate tools for chasing trout. Each Freshwater Rod features the ultimate in componentry--friction free titanium coated SIC stripping guides, maple reel seats with nickel coated barrels and hoods, a beautiful wine colored blank finish, and high grade cork handle. Knowing that beauty is only skin deep, Tim Rajeff designed each rod with its own specific power and action in order to provide you with the best tool for the job. Other manufacturers utilize a single action across an entire range of rods, which is just downright silly. To further allow you to fine tune the actions of Echo2 rods, each rod comes with 2 tips; an "A" tip for accuracy and a "D" tip for distance."

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

If you have an opportunity to try some of the Scott rods you might try the V2 or G2 rods. Both are of medium action and are easy to feel load up. I do have a 6 wt Echo and I do like the feel of that rod also. Take your time a get what you feel is right for you. Do not be cheap on the line as you will want to have the best experience possible. PS; the Sage SLT on sale at Cabelas is a sweet rod also.