The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 06:18 PM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Bass rods

I have an opportunity to pick up a new 330gr Sage bass rod (first gen) for a really good price. Does anyone have any experience with these rods? I've looked all around the internet and couldn't find much on them.

Can someone explain the rating of these rods vs. the standard weights that are commonly used? I know the 330gr is a fairly heavy model and being only 7' 11" does this detract from it's usefulness for other species?

I don't really do any bass fishing, but it looks like it could make a nice rod for tiger muskie or tight spots for large steelheads or salmon.

Thank you for any input!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Bass rods

I saw that those and their 'bluegill' model (snicker,snicker ) are on sale at Sierra Trading Post. 3 Bills
Tis the season to find close-outs
Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think they make sense as a musky rod, given that the flies typically start at sparrow size and range upwards to pigeon.

The lines are really the key to these rigs. I found the Bluegill line on STP and have cast it on my new 8' 6wt Scott A3, and it does exactly as advertised: 30' to 70' with a single backcast and haul.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

I have the newer version Smallmouth Bass rod. Haven't used it yet but thinking maybe I shoulda got the Bluegill instead for my stream sml.mouth bass fishing.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I cant say enough good about them. i wouldnt mind getting another one I like mine so much. the 330 is a BEAST. i have a 230 and with a Rio outbound 235grn 6wt line on there man you can really send some flies a sailin'. I picked mine up on model clearance for under 200. need another one.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 PM

haulingmario is on a distinguished road

I picked up a Sage Bass rod last year the 230grn Bluegill version on sale .Really enjoy it. The rods are light and well balanced that's what attracted me to them. I'm learning to cast much larger flies now with the Sage bass line that come with it,takes some practice but its a fun rod. The lighter rod is more then enough for any fish I would catch in the lakes and rivers here in central Cali. Its' the only rod I'm using now. The Sage Bass Smallmouth rod can handle a good size fish.