The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default Another allen rod question

Im currently in the market for a new 4 weight and i have been looking at allen rods. There are alot of people on here that have good things to say about them but im always hesitent on buying a rod without test casting it first. I hear the term " casts like a rod that costs twice as much", thrown around alot. There are lots of rods in the lower price bracket that are very nice, and cast very well but, the fact is, there is a reason a high end sage, winston, scot and so on cost so much. The materials, r&d, and manufacturing process are much better.

Having that said, what can i compare the allen myth or xa to? Or is there any way of getting a hold of one of these rods to test it out? Also i see allen has discounts for forum members, how much are the myth's right now with the discount?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 04:27 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another allen rod question

Justin is a stand up guy. I am sure that if you absolutely hate the rod he would make it right. With that said, there is not a snowballs chance in the world that you aren't going to like the Myth. I bought one in 9' 6wt for Christmas and you can believe that for my next rod I will look to Allen first. Also, the reel is a good buy too! Completely machined and great drag. Ask Justin about buying a "combo".

-Forrest
Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

thanks forrest,

It seems like his products are getting nothing but good feedback, i didnt see anything on his website about combos, i will have to consider that, his reels look like good stuff, I will give him a shout.

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hey Brian, I'm definitely a fan of Allen product, and if I wasn't fishing with my Allen rods all the time I'd send em your way to demo them and I'm sure you'd like them. The Myth is a fast action rod, but while as a fast-action it is a tip-flex, it doesn't feel as stiff as a St. Croix Pro Graphite (which is very stiff). The rod is a downright fish-catcher, can throw some very tight loops with accurate casts (angler notwithstanding, as I'm not exaaactly a pro), and even my 9' 5wt performs very well in tight quarters as I was doing the other day on a local freestone. Plus the green color of the blank is just plain awesome.... seriously. The other series, the Xa, is more of a medium-fast, mid-flex rod. For me, that means that I have fought fish that people near me were fighting on heavier rods, and do it with lighter tippets, and landed these fish in comparable time. In short, the rod has very ample backbone and means that you're not that guy playing fish for way too long and tiring them out, even though you're chasing steelhead on a 6wt. Plus, even with cheap line, it throws flies like a cannon. Those friends of mine that have used my Allen gear have all decided they want their own.

I'd say your best bet if you're still worried about getting to try them out is to take a trip to the Midwest Expo in March and try them out, just make sure you have clearance to buy more than one. I promise you're going to want them. And then, just wait until you hook into a fish on one, because that's where they really shine, in my opinion anyways.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...