The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:34 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Orvis Superfine Touch rod?

7' 4wt superfine touch anyone cast one or have one would like some info fit finish quality what do you think
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Orvis Superfine Touch rod?

Reese, you might want to ask ghocevar , he has a 6ft 1wt...and can probably offer some insight on the finish/quality of the rod.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
7' 4wt superfine touch anyone cast one or have one would like some info fit finish quality what do you think
I've seen them, and they are as beautiful as the pics show them to be. I've not cast one, of the "touch" series...I've cast a superfine "Trout bum" in 7'4wt and it was awfully nice. Im pretty sure that it is a different blank though.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up a used 3 wt on EBay this winter to fish some of the local mountain streams, but haven't had a chance to wet a line with it yet. The finish is very nice (typical Orvis quality).

Ard has fished the orginal Superfine for years and has posted comments on it's quality numerous times. You might send him a PM (Hardyreels).

Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Here's a review I trust on the 8' version- Underground Review: The Orvis Superfine Touch 8′ 4wt Small Stream Fly Rod – - The Trout Underground Fly Fishing BlogThe Trout Underground Fly Fishing Blog

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

I fish a 7'11" original superfine, 4 wt. Very nice rod, well finished. VERY slow rod, so be prepared to slow it down! Fishes nicely with a Cortland Sylk 4 wt. line.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I fish a 7'6" Superfine Touch Trout Bum 4 Wt as my standard rod for the smaller streams near home. Its is spectacularly built (finish etc..)and has a very pleasing action. I have the tip flex version and find it very slightly slower than my Scott A3 4wt. The superfine is extremely light in hand and works well as a purely dry fly rod as well as a 'short' indicator rod. It can roll cast well because of it's action (with in reason due to the short length).
Its forte' is not banging out 100yd casts...it excels between 5-45yds with the Orvis wonderline WF4F I have on it at the moment. I have not had any issue casting into a wind but then again I have not fished it on the wider rivers.

Balances great with either the CFO 123 disc & Cortland Retro 1 reels.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 PM

bxv is on a distinguished road

the 7'6" 3 wt is my choice in that line up but also like the 8ft 4 and 865.
they really are made exceptionally well, saw them being made in manchester.
such great actions and really lite. give em a try