The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Affordable 10' 6wt's? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/242335-affordable-10-6wts.html)

siskiyoublues 02-20-2012 10:07 AM

Affordable 10' 6wt's?

Hey guys I was looking for some help finding a good fit for me.
I was looking for a 10' 6wt rod for steelhead fishing under 200 is good, around 150 is better. What are my options in this price range? It seems like I see a lot more 9 1/2 foot 6 weights but I really have my heart set on 10'.

I (unfortunately?) got the chance to use a Helios rod in this configuration and it was wonderful. Too bad you can't get that for 200 bucks!

So far the rod on my radar is the Albright A5@$188. I have heard good reviews for the money but less then favorable customer service experiences.

Thanks guys! Just trying to see what's out there.
Also if anyone wants to trade a TFO Ticr 8wt for something let me know ;) :D

Joni 02-20-2012 10:38 AM

Re: Affordable 10' 6wt's?

What about a TFO? I have the Pro 10' 5 wt.

gatortransplant 02-20-2012 10:47 AM

Carl, I use an Allen Xa 10' 6wt for 'steelhead' in the Great Lakes area and it is wonderful. It's definitely my favorite rod of the five I have access to (though I have had a similar Helios experience :p). The rod can handle some bigger fish than you would expect, as I've hooked into Chinooks on it, as well as 12+# browns. The price is very, very affordable, the performance is awesome, and the warranty is bulletproof (believe me, I've tested it...). Allen' customer service is awesome as well. I highly recommend the rod, you won't be disappointed!

siskiyoublues 02-20-2012 10:54 AM

I didn't realize they had the Pro in those specs, I'll give my local shop and see if they have one to cast. I like tfo rods but the Ticr is way to fast action for me so I hope the pro isn't that way.
Thanks Joni!

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

AJ you are just confirming what my gut is telling me. I keep hoping the Allen guys run another promo soon so it drops into my price range. Maybe it's time to poke through the gear pile and see what I can sell.

gatortransplant 02-20-2012 11:01 AM

Just send Justin an email about your interest, I'm sure he'd love to set you up with a rod. I know they'll be at the Pleasanton show this coming weekend if that's anywhere near you. I'm looking to pick up a new Xa soon as well, but in a 3wt. The 6wt in 10' is totally awesome though, it's med-fast and casts very well, but my favorite part about it is how it plays fish (even when I'm fighting them wrong :)).

mikel 02-20-2012 11:03 AM

The Pro's are being discontinued. An internet search will probably find you one for like 40% off...just sayin...

-m

Vans 02-20-2012 11:18 AM

Echo makes a 10' 6wt, the Ion model. It will cost you one cent under $190 most places. It is a med fast action rod.

I own two Echos, a 7wt Ion for steelhead and a beast of bluewater rod, a 12wt 3S. I posted a couple pics of mine in the rod love thread in the rod sub forum.

I am real fond of Echos, i love the look of them and i like the quality. Great warrenty as well. Also, they are a local company for me since the company is headquartered in Vancouver, WA.

http://rivercityflyshop.com/Echo_Ion_Rods.htm

siskiyoublues 02-20-2012 11:24 AM

Echo is one of those brands that completely slipped under my radar. I missed a chance at a hell of a deal on one of their two handed rods a month or so ago. Everything I've heard about Echo seems very favorable. Thanks Vans

silver creek 02-20-2012 01:37 PM

Joni 02-20-2012 01:42 PM

The Pro is a definite Medium action.