The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Affordable 10' 6wt's?

Hey guys I was looking for some help finding a good fit for me.
I was looking for a 10' 6wt rod for steelhead fishing under 200 is good, around 150 is better. What are my options in this price range? It seems like I see a lot more 9 1/2 foot 6 weights but I really have my heart set on 10'.

I (unfortunately?) got the chance to use a Helios rod in this configuration and it was wonderful. Too bad you can't get that for 200 bucks!

So far the rod on my radar is the Albright A5@$188. I have heard good reviews for the money but less then favorable customer service experiences.

Thanks guys! Just trying to see what's out there.
Also if anyone wants to trade a TFO Ticr 8wt for something let me know

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable 10' 6wt's?

What about a TFO? I have the Pro 10' 5 wt.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Carl, I use an Allen Xa 10' 6wt for 'steelhead' in the Great Lakes area and it is wonderful. It's definitely my favorite rod of the five I have access to (though I have had a similar Helios experience ). The rod can handle some bigger fish than you would expect, as I've hooked into Chinooks on it, as well as 12+# browns. The price is very, very affordable, the performance is awesome, and the warranty is bulletproof (believe me, I've tested it...). Allen' customer service is awesome as well. I highly recommend the rod, you won't be disappointed!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I didn't realize they had the Pro in those specs, I'll give my local shop and see if they have one to cast. I like tfo rods but the Ticr is way to fast action for me so I hope the pro isn't that way.
Thanks Joni!

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

AJ you are just confirming what my gut is telling me. I keep hoping the Allen guys run another promo soon so it drops into my price range. Maybe it's time to poke through the gear pile and see what I can sell.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Just send Justin an email about your interest, I'm sure he'd love to set you up with a rod. I know they'll be at the Pleasanton show this coming weekend if that's anywhere near you. I'm looking to pick up a new Xa soon as well, but in a 3wt. The 6wt in 10' is totally awesome though, it's med-fast and casts very well, but my favorite part about it is how it plays fish (even when I'm fighting them wrong ).

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

The Pro's are being discontinued. An internet search will probably find you one for like 40% off...just sayin...

-m
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Echo makes a 10' 6wt, the Ion model. It will cost you one cent under $190 most places. It is a med fast action rod.

I own two Echos, a 7wt Ion for steelhead and a beast of bluewater rod, a 12wt 3S. I posted a couple pics of mine in the rod love thread in the rod sub forum.

I am real fond of Echos, i love the look of them and i like the quality. Great warrenty as well. Also, they are a local company for me since the company is headquartered in Vancouver, WA.

http://rivercityflyshop.com/Echo_Ion_Rods.htm
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 AM

Echo is one of those brands that completely slipped under my radar. I missed a chance at a hell of a deal on one of their two handed rods a month or so ago. Everything I've heard about Echo seems very favorable. Thanks Vans

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon.com: Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Professional Series Fly Rod: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Professional Series Fly Rod: Sports & Outdoors

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The Pro is a definite Medium action.