The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM

slduck is on a distinguished road
Default Targus Gary Borger light touch fly rod

i am thinking about buying a Targus Gary Borger Light Touch 8 ft 4 weight fly rod for spring creeks. Anyone ever fished these. I do not have access to them so cannot physically see the rod or cast it
Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Targus Gary Borger light touch fly rod

The Targus Borger rods have been out of production for several years. I have the 9 foot 8 and 9 weights in the Targus Gary Borger Pro series. I like them a lot for their purpose -- but it is a much more robust type of fishing than spring creeks. Have not cast anything in the Light Touch series, but back when they were still in production I remember seeing some comments on discussion boards to the effect that the Light Touch rods were even nicer than the Pro rods. Well balanced, nicely finished, delicate, easy casting. Only passing along what I heard elsewhere, so take this secondhand information with a grain of salt, but it is what someone else a couple of years ago was saying about them. If you do a browser search for "targus borger light touch" you can probably find some of those old threads. (Google has links to search specifically for blog posts or discussions.)

In fact, I just did that and found one of those old threads:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...er-Light-Touch

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Another:

Pennsylvania Fly Fishing - Targus Fly Rods/Reels [Forums - Gear Talk]
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Another:

Targus Gary Borger Pro Series fly rods?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 AM

Update, if anyone is still interested: I was so intrigued by this brief exchange last winter that I bought one of those 8' 4 wts myself. It is a delightful little stick. They still have some left, too, at The Fly Shop (in Redding, CA) for only $129.

As it happens, I met Gary Borger at the fly fishing show in Marlboro last Friday. I mentioned it to him and he said he loves that rod. Out of all the rods that Targus put his name on, it is one of his favorites.

(Another of his favorites, he said, is the 9' 9 wt Gary Borger Pro Series rod. I use mine for stripers and bluefish here in Mass. He said he uses his fishing tribs in Wisconsin for Great Lakes salmon and steelhead. The Fly Shop has some of those left for $129 too.)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Update, if anyone is still interested: I was so intrigued by this brief exchange last winter that I bought one of those 8' 4 wts myself. It is a delightful little stick. They still have some left, too, at The Fly Shop (in Redding, CA) for only $129.

As it happens, I met Gary Borger at the fly fishing show in Marlboro last Friday. I mentioned it to him and he said he loves that rod. Out of all the rods that Targus put his name on, it is one of his favorites.

(Another of his favorites, he said, is the 9' 9 wt Gary Borger Pro Series rod. I use mine for stripers and bluefish here in Mass. He said he uses his fishing tribs in Wisconsin for Great Lakes salmon and steelhead. The Fly Shop has some of those left for $129 too.)
I ordered a 9' 4wt. A month or so ago. They told me they didn't have any left, but I could get one of their FlyShop house rods for the same price. They said the rods (Borger) broke to easy. Like a sucker, I got one- the fresh H2o, and fished it yeaterday. I used my LRH and the rod was tip heavy. I'll have to use a heavier reel next time. It casted ok, but nothing to write home to ma about.
Joni was fishing a new 5wt. Allen Compass. I gave that a whirl. I should have waited and bought the Compass. Better balanced and smoother casting.
But all in all, I wish the Targus was available. Silver Creek recommended it, and I trust his judgment highly.
Maybe the Fly Shop didn't have the 4wt.,or maybe they just wanted to unload one of theirs.

p.s. they still have the 9' 4wt. on their website.........Bait and switch?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM

I was just going by what they show as available on the website. However, keep in mind also that the 9x4 size they are still showing as available is in the Pro series, not the Light Touch series. I was talking about the 8x4 in the Light Touch series and the 9x9 in the Pro series. (In the Light Touch series, they are showing the 8x4, 8x5, and 8'6"x5 as still available.)

Contrary to your experience, though, I had asked them about the difference between their house GL-H2O (now renamed Signature H2O to avoid confusion with Loomis) and the Borger Pro models in 7 and 8 weights last year, and the guy I spoke with said the Borger rods were more durable than the house rods, not less. (The argument for the house rods was supposedly that they are more sensitive in those heavier weights.) Maybe one or both uf us got an ignorant or unscrupulous (or both) sales clerk on the phone who was only talking through his hat.

In any case, I do like my 8x4 Light Touch and 9x9 Pro, and Gary Borger himself told me he does too.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I was just going by what they show as available on the website. However, keep in mind also that the 9x4 size they are still showing as available is in the Pro series, not the Light Touch series. I was talking about the 8x4 in the Light Touch series and the 9x9 in the Pro series. (In the Light Touch series, they are showing the 8x4, 8x5, and 8'6"x5 as still available.)

Contrary to your experience, though, I had asked them about the difference between their house GL-H2O (now renamed Signature H2O to avoid confusion with Loomis) and the Borger Pro models in 7 and 8 weights last year, and the guy I spoke with said the Borger rods were more durable than the house rods, not less. (The argument for the house rods was supposedly that they are more sensitive in those heavier weights.) Maybe one or both uf us got an ignorant or unscrupulous (or both) sales clerk on the phone who was only talking through his hat.

In any case, I do like my 8x4 Light Touch and 9x9 Pro, and Gary Borger himself told me he does too.
Maybe they better get their stories straight. I had the guy on the phone tell me they didn't have have a 4 wt. in either series.
I figured they were a reputible business. I doubt I'll do any more business with them.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I had the guy on the phone tell me they didn't have have a 4 wt. in either series.
Well, he might at least have been right about that much, if they haven't updated their web page in a while -- which would still have been inattentive on their part but not necessarily dishonest. If they really are all gone, though, that's too bad. They were a real bargain at that price.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Moucheur, Does one or both of these Targus series of rods feature the Formica foil paint job similar to the previous Albright EXS rods ( but in bronze rather than green)? I have it on good authority that they are more-or-less the same rods from the same fine Korean rod shop as the discontinued Albrights which were very good rods. If so the 8 1/2'/#4 is an outstanding model in the Albright version as is the #5 and #8.

Mojo, for sure I would call them and thank them for the "good deal" they gave you but say, "frankly, it is not what I had in mind." Exchange it for the above #4 or 5 and you may be much happier. Incidentally, (speaking of the Albright version) these rods are a bit on the fragile side and not appropriate for sunk line or lead weight applications but they cast with crisp authority, accuracy and are very communicative.
imxer likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Moucheur, Does one or both of these Targus series of rods feature the Formica foil paint job similar to the previous Albright EXS rods ( but in bronze rather than green)? I have it on good authority that they are more-or-less the same rods from the same fine Korean rod shop as the discontinued Albrights which were very good rods. If so the 8 1/2'/#4 is an outstanding model in the Albright version as is the #5 and #8.

Mojo, for sure I would call them and thank them for the "good deal" they gave you but say, "frankly, it is not what I had in mind." Exchange it for the above #4 or 5 and you may be much happier. Incidentally, (speaking of the Albright version) these rods are a bit on the fragile side and not appropriate for sunk line or lead weight applications but they cast with crisp authority, accuracy and are very communicative.
I wouldn't call it bronze, more like brick red or crimson, but yes, the Pro series has a "foil" finish similar to the EXS. The Light Touch series is dark green and not as bright and shiny, similar to Winston. I looked at my Light Touch last night and didn't notice whether it has a foil finish (the light was dim), but if it does it is much more subtle and subdued. The EXS and Winston rods have nicer reel seats than the Borger ones.