The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 PM

sam4msu is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie rig??

I am looking at a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature model in 9' 5wt with either a TFO Prism 5 wt or a TFO Midge 5wt reel. I have also been looking at the Okuma Sierra, SLV or Integrity in 5wt. Any suggestions on other rods or reels to look at? I will be using this outfit mainly for trout and panfish.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Newbie rig??

Hi Sam,

I will let others who are more up to date on tackle make rod recommendations but will say; welcome to the forum. I hope you will continue to post with us and find your answers.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i will give you props on your selections. nice,quality gear all around
the okuma reels are great!!

casey

ARFE
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam4msu View Post
I am looking at a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature model in 9' 5wt with either a TFO Prism 5 wt or a TFO Midge 5wt reel. I have also been looking at the Okuma Sierra, SLV or Integrity in 5wt. Any suggestions on other rods or reels to look at? I will be using this outfit mainly for trout and panfish.
It reads as if you are looking for a lower price point option. When it comes to those lower price points, my preference is towards Redington products. Check out the Pursuit rod. It casts smoother than most of lower price point options. It is available as a rod only or in a prepackaged outfit.

Personally I would buy separately. Redington has a beautiful click drag reel called the Drift. If you would rather have a disk drag reel, look at the Rise or the Delta. Plus I like making my choice for a fly line.

Good luck with your search.

Dennis
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 AM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

There's an excellent quality Scott A3 9' 5 wt. with rod tube in the personal classifieds section for slightly more than the price of a new TFO Signature + rod tube.

Pair that with a Lamson Konic 2 and you have a high quality combo to last you a lifetime without breaking the bank.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Any idea what you're looking to spend? And what sort of waters you'll mainly be fishing? Tight quarters, open banks, a mix?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have the TFO signature series rod in a 4 wt. It has medium fast action (read upper mid flex here) which IMO makes it easier to cast for an inexperienced caster. I like it for tight quarters because it loads very well with only a minimal amount of line out. So many of these fast action rods don't load until you get 40+ feet of line in the air. You will not be disappointed in the Prism cast reel, which provides great value at that price point.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I have one of the older series 1 TFO Lefty Signature rods, but in a 10 wt. I really like the rod & am very pleased with how it casts. Of course a 10 wt is a big difference than a 5 wt. and I can't say how much they may have changed the rods since, as mine is several years old now. I also have several of the Sierra & Integrity reels, and have no complaints about either. For the price they're excellent reels.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam4msu View Post
The TFO Professional series is on closeout for $89 here... that's 60 buck off and makes it LESS than buying the two piece signature series. That was actually my second rod, but I wish I would have bought it first. I used it for 4 years and it does everything well, plus the best warranty in the business when you consider the price and speed of their warranty claim turnarounds. And I'm with RIP, and many others on this one; buy your rod and reel separately unless it's a heckuva deal on the combo.

CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM

sam4msu is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the advice here. I am looking to keep it in the $200 range, maybe a little more. I will be fishing a mix of tight waters and open waters.