The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default 4 piece 6wt with fighting butt?

I'm looking into a good 6wt for $80-$190. I'd like something about 9' in 4 pieces with a fighting butt. I'd like it to be my permanent trout streamer/bass rod. Anybody have any good suggestions?

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

One more thing. I see a lot of the fighting butt rods are a little longer... up to 10' and 11'. Anyone trying these longer lengths and have anything to say about their performance?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: 4 piece 6wt with fighting butt?

I use a 10' 6wt 4-piece Allen Xa (which has a fighting butt). The extra length allows me to control my drifts better, particularly in areas with multiple currents, and I've never had a problem handling large browns or steelhead due to the longer size, plus it casts well and fights fish excellently. Personally, I wouldn't go up to the 11', but that's just personal preference. I have both 9' and 10'ers, and I tend to prefers the 10'ers in all but the most cramped of confines. I'd recommend both the size AND the manufacturer. It is absolutely my favorite rod, in addition to Allen's great customer service and great warranty.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

This series has a 9' 6wt with a full wells and fighting butt- Ross Essence FS

I'd considered getting one myself, until I found a Scott A3 on closeout. The one I got is an 8', a bit more specialized than you're likely after.
ss772 likes this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:22 AM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Echo Ion.

They are 4 piece 9 or 10 foot rods, full wells grip, with fighting butt. They start at 6 weights and go up. Rod sock & tube, good warranty. They run $189. Wonderful casters.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Shorter than you're thinking of, but I'm pleased with my Ross FlyStik 6wt.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymark View Post
Echo Ion.

They are 4 piece 9 or 10 foot rods, full wells grip, with fighting butt. They start at 6 weights and go up. Rod sock & tube, good warranty. They run $189. Wonderful casters.
Agreed. I own one. Mine is a 9' 6wt with fighting butt. Sweet rod

Echo is an awesome company with great customer service. I own four Echo rods. A Carbon 4wt, a 6wt and 7wt Ion and a 12wt 3S. Been thinking of getting a 8wt Ion too. It really is hard to beat Echo rods for the price.

They are more of a med/fast action though. I have found as my casting has gotten better, i prefer a med/fast over a pure fast rod.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I've been using a 10' 6wt Allen Xa for winter steelhead in norcal and it's been solid. handled some pigs and I can cast it easily. It's going to be my streamer rod for the upcoming trout season.
Like AJ, I've had positive experiences with the rod and company, they offer a lot of gear for the money.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

You dont find the 6wt too light for larger winters?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I don't know the Allen rods, but I do like Ross, Echo and TFO
Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
You dont find the 6wt too light for larger winters?
It has handled everything so far. I don't know if it's in my head but that extra foot seems to give the rod a bit more fish fighting power. Coupled with heavy tippet I haven't felt under-gunned. I went from a 9' 8wt to this rod and have been much happier.

On a similar thought, I'm reading Trey Combs Steelhead Fly Fishing and he is frequently noted talking about using 3wt's-6wts across the PNW. (for example he recommends a 3wt for the Klamath river because it's not known for huge fish and a motley crew of half pounders)
Was that the norm 20 years ago or was he an exception? Did a trend heavier duty tackle start making an appearance as fish mortality science increased?

Steelheader's Anonymous.