The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM

shrek82 is on a distinguished road
Default High End Rod Decision

Hey everyone, i am new to the forum and i am looking for advice on a new fly rod. The three i am trying to choose between are an Orvis Helios 9ft 5wt, a Scott S4 9ft 5wt, or a Sage One 9ft 5wt. Any experience with these rods or advice about them would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: High End Rod Decision

Hi Shrek, I don't have any means of comparison, but I got a Sage ONE and I couldn't be more happy with a rod. It is FAST action, but works well with a regular size line or lined up a half (I havn't tried lined up a full size). IMO it feels better with a half size up on the back cast and seems to shoot further and easier also. The reason I like it so much is the accuracy, and it is not just hype or advertising. I've never seen my cast so straight and consistent, no wiggles mid cast, or when it lands, it is a lazer shot and with no wind I can hit a 12" target over and over at 30-50'. It is not flashy, it is polished black with a tiny bit of silver thread, grey hardware, and dark wood reel seat. I did just get it and have only fished with it twice so far, but nymphing was great, a little tricky to cast an indicator rig but I think that is just me; it has always felt awkward. If you have any more specific questions I'd be glad to offer my opinions about it. Good luck, and I'm sure any of those rods would be a great choice.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Welcome Shreck, The 3 rods you are considering are quite different from one another. The Helios is the lightest and, even in the tip-flex version, the most full flexing (slowest action) of the 3. A sweet rod but lacks strength down low. Good in close but not to reach out with. The Scott is the heaviest (not unpleasently so) and has a lot of "feel" as you as you sesnse its mass flexing. It has good power and feels more sophisticated in its taper then the Helios. Very well built with excellent tracking. Then there is the ONE. As a dry fly angler, it is my choice of these three. It is a brilliant design with great technology that is loaded with personality and limitless capability if you are a skilled caster. Like a BMW M3, anyone can drive it but only track-trained, skillful drivers will extract any significant part of its enormous performance potential. Have you considered Hardy's Zenith? It fits into this high-performance 5-weight catagory too.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

here's a comparison, though the Sage One is not here as it was not yet released

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'd really like to be able to cast 3 rods on a casting pond.. without knowing what they were or thier price.

And pick which one I liked afterwards. Easy to get swayed by name brands

Different speed rods cast better for different people, a fast rod, like a Sage One.. may cast terrible for you.. try a few.. then narrow it down
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
here's a comparison, though the Sage One is not here as it was not yet released
And here's an update adding the Sage One.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM

shrek82 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great info so far. Does anyone know if the Hardy Zenith is made in the US. I like to keep my money in the US
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek82 View Post
Thanks for all the great info so far. Does anyone know if the Hardy Zenith is made in the US. I like to keep my money in the US
No, it's made somewhere in Asia, Korea I think. Hardy & Greys, the parent company, is English. The Orvis Helios, Sage, and Scott that you are considering are all made in the US, but they're also more expensive. If you buy the Zenith, the $100 or so that remains in your pocket will also remain in the US!
wannafish likes this.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to give a recommendation without knowing your experience level, what you fish for and the type of waters where the rod will be used. All three of your choices can be the perfect rod in the right hands or the right fishing conditions. A recommendation is at its best a guess, and with the information provided could result in not a terrible but certainly not the best match for your needs.

Dave
Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I went from a low-end Tova 5wt to a Helios 5wt and there is a difference, to me. My fishing skills are average and I fish fast and slow moving waters mostly for Lenok and rainbows. The Helios throws buggers, dries, and nymph rigs just fine. I also like the weight of the rod because I spend all day in the water and my arm and shoulder don't get fatigued like the Tova did. If there is one thing I could change it would be to make the rod flat back or something more subdued. When I pull the Helios out it's like fishing with a Rolex; flashy, gaudy, everyone wants to see it and hold it. The fish may also get spooked because of the bracelet type reflection when I'm fishing smaller water (my theory). I bought this Helios used and it's probably the last 5wt I'll ever need. sf