The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 PM

mochacon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: advice for beginner

Ok

So I am curious! for starers and ofcource I will get more stuff as I go but what other things would i need besides flies? tackle box,size. vest? waders?kind,pliers? knife? like other then the rod and reel is everything else fairly inexpensive?

I plan on buying throughout the winter.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:00 AM

patio87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochacon View Post
Ok

So I am curious! for starers and ofcource I will get more stuff as I go but what other things would i need besides flies? tackle box,size. vest? waders?kind,pliers? knife? like other then the rod and reel is everything else fairly inexpensive?

I plan on buying throughout the winter.

fly boxes - very cheap

vest - cheap(depending, some will tell you to buy a 200 dollar one, but you can get em for 20usd, or you could go with a pack of some sort)

waders- hip waders $50usd. Neoprene chest waders 100usd. Breathable + boots 200usd

nippers/pliers - cheap

flies - cheap

polarized sun glasses - cheap
Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM

mochacon is on a distinguished road

Well, I went out and found a local angler and I guess he is being put in the hall of fame here where I live. His name is bryant freeman. He was showing me rods made by loomis,redingtin and luger. Any thoughts on these rods? He did not brag Sage at all. He siad they sell but mainly cause of a prestige thing more then a actualy better rod. anyone think your paying for the name?

He does not sell Sage as there is a store near one of the most known rivers in the world for salmon that has sole rights to selling it in my prov. Name of river is the miramichi river.

So I am thinking of a 8.5' 6wt for trout and maybe salmon but looking to get another rod later on for salmon.

Just not sure about reels now.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Forums!!

A book that really helped me was Fly Fishing for Dummies there is a lot of good info in there. I also ask my friends and lot of questions about fly fishing...probably too many. Another great resource is local fly shops and guides. And of course this forum has lots of useful posts. Have fun out there!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that ebay has tons of great stuff for fly fishing.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi mochacon,

It will be a big help to have someone local to talk to. You should ask if he will give you a couple of casting lessons if you buy a rod from him. Does he have a store or just sells on the side?

It is not surprising that he is not a fan of Sage if he sells something else. Loomis and Redington have some good rods. I don't know anything about Luger. A 6wt rod would be a good choice for you in your area. A 8'6" length is a good choice but with some experience you might wish that you had went with a 9' rod. The Miramichi river would be big water fishing and I would want a 9' rod. If you mail order I would suggest you look at a TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) Professional or a TiCr. The TiCr is a faster rod and will take a bit more practice but in the long run would be a good choice. The Full Creel sells the TFO rods. Give them a call at: 800-811-8211