The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM

nickmazur is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis decision

Hi everyone! So I live in Vermont an hour away from Orvis and they have a clearance building there. Now, I can either get a brand new Clearwater rod with warrenty IR I have several choices of refurbished rods without warrenty. I could get an access 8' 4 weight fir $170, trout bum 7' 4 weight for $150, or a superfine touch 8' 4 weight for $300. I'm going to be using it in the smaller streams around here but also wanted something with enough power to throw a dry fly out to 60' or so. One of the Brooks I have specifically in mind requires a bit if line mending. Any advice? I have a 9' 5 weight that casts decently but is heavy (tfo nxt). I wont be buying another rod for at least a year, possibly longer.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis decision

I looked at the Orvis Clearwater II "seconds & refurbs", both at the Manchester (VT) Bargain Building and at the Lake George (NY) Factory Outlet last Fall. Because I'm a newbie at fly fishing, I went "new", so that I'd have the warranty. They had some of the Clearwater II set-ups on clearance, with full warranty, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, before the release of the new Clearwater III. I was able to get the rod, reel (with backing, line, & leader), a new vest, and a few other things for what I had expected to pay for just the rod & reel.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really tell you which rod to buy but I can hazzard a comment on 'new' vs. 'referb/seconds.' If there's a substantial difference in price between one and the other, take the less expensive one. The only difference between one and the other (rod wise they're the same) is price.

Sooo no warranty? How many rods have you actually broken is one way of looking at it. (Personally, over 60 years, I can count them on the fingers of one hand. And only one of those was an actual rod 'failure.' Power windows will raise hell with a rod tip .... )

But lets say you do break one, what's it going to cost you to send it in to get repaired (shipping, etc)? Just thoughts, just thoughts.
Guest1 and jaybo41 like this.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Fred recommends! Same here, I have been fly fishing since the early 80's and have yet to break a rod so to me if your getting a big discount on the refurb rods I'd lean in that direction. My preference in those Orvis rods would be the trout bum or the superfine touch, both excellent rods.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I was leaning towards the refurb, but after reading all of the threads on this forum about broken tips and warranties, I was a little gun-shy, so I went for the warranty. With the deep discount that they had, at the time, on the Clearwater II's, that they were trying to clear from stock so that they could start selling the Clearwater III's it seemed worth it to me.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Just grabbed the 8' 4 weight and ill probably go back for the trout bum next week. Lol
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Which 8'4 did you get? The superfine Touch or the Access? I would guess the Access has a little more power for those longer casts (although I haven't cast either of them).

I was in an Orvis shop recently and was really surprised by their new Clearwater line. They have really taken the quality level up a few notches on their low end.

Of course, if they let you cast the rods before you decided, you already knew more for yourself than anything we could tell you.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

It's like being 'single,' you see this drop dead GORG-US (spelling intended) etc., etc.

You know you want toooo (or should that be 'two?), Ohooooo so want .... Call ahead and have them hold one for you; at that price they won't be there next week.

"Give into the Dark Side young Skywalker .... "
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM

I got the access.
The trout bums have been there all week. They're not marked because, I think, they were left over blanks that they needed to get rid of since the touches don't use the same blanks as the trout bums. They must have a dozen of the trout bums in 7' 4 weight there, at least.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmazur View Post
I got the access.
The trout bums have been there all week. They're not marked because, I think, they were left over blanks that they needed to get rid of since the touches don't use the same blanks as the trout bums. They must have a dozen of the trout bums in 7' 4 weight there, at least.
$150 is a terrific price if they are brand new, without defects, and finished off with decent hardware. I just checked an old 2010 Orvis catalog I had lying around and the list price for the first-quality warranted rods was $575 when they were still in production. (That was up from $375 in 2006.)

At $150, if you're really worried about the lack of warranty, you could just buy two and have a spare for when the first one breaks!

Last edited by moucheur2003; 03-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.