The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 AM

johnnie555 is on a distinguished road
Default Tfo

Anyone own a TFO deer creek switch rod? Thinking about getting one for chasing some steel! Just looking for some reviews?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tfo

I didn't know which thread to put this in, but I saw you were looking for a new switch rod. Check out the Allen Olympic series. The price is reasonable and the rod is awesome. I was lucky enough to cast both the switch and spey models at the Somerset show and it's an awesome product, plus it comes with Allen's warranty and customer service which are quickly developing a great (and definitely deserving) reputation.

As far as the Deer Creek series goes, to return to your original question, I've heard great things (to the point that some have said the Deer Creek series is their best product).

Where will you be getting after the chromers?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have a 14' Deer Creek, in 10 wt. For me, the rod is very nice, and although I also have a 15' Loomis GL3 10 wt that was a gift, Is the TFO better than the Loomis, no, but the difference between the two is not worth the price difference to me. In other words, I paid for the TFO, but I would never shell out the bucks for the Loomis.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I got the 15' 9 weight Deer Creek spey rod and used it for the first time last summer. On the one hand, I liked it a lot. On the other hand, it's a different model than the one you're asking about, and I am a two-handed casting newbie so I probably wouldn't know the difference between a good one and a bad one anyway!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I got the 15' 9 weight Deer Creek spey rod and used it for the first time last summer. On the one hand, I liked it a lot. On the other hand, it's a different model than the one you're asking about, and I am a two-handed casting newbie so I probably wouldn't know the difference between a good one and a bad one anyway!
Mouch,

I think you would know, I don't think you need to be a 10 year veteran two hand caster to know whether the rod is doing its job.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The original designers of the TFO's (can't speak for now) were some of the best going. Real 2-hander rod designer/builders. If you knew anything about 'rod design' you'd instantly recognize the names.

fae
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM

johnnie555 is on a distinguished road

well thanks for the insight.. I fish all over the state of Michigan as thats pretty much my home waters.. Hope to test some rods out this weekend at the Midwest Fly fishing expo in Warren MI..
Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM

lbz_2006 is on a distinguished road

Is that show in the UP or LP? im from wisconsin and have yet to go to a fly fishing expo i think it would be pretty neat to go?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The show is just outside Detroit, so its a bit of a haul for you I'd say! But heck, I'm driving in from Buffalo.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM

lbz_2006 is on a distinguished road

haha dang well it probably would be around a 10 hour drive then haha but if its good may be worth it haha