The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM

johnnie555 is on a distinguished road
Default Switch rod TFO vs Redington ???

Ok, so being new to the whole switch rod world I'd like to start out with a midpriced rod before dropping cash on say a Sage Z-Axis.. I've kinda narrowed it down to a TFO Deer Creek 11ft 7 weight or a Redington CXP 11ft 3in. 7 weight. Both rods seem priced about the same. From what I can see the Redington seems to be a tad bit lighter, and has a little faster action. Anyone have any experience or insight on either of the two??? Have heard "rumors" of the CXP being somewhat compareble to the Sage XP line, which is what I am most familiar with. Being that Sage bought out Redington and the CXP being Redingtons top dollar rod, its not entirely out of the relm of possibility. Looking for any insight on the two, and oppions of both! Who to steer towards or away from? Both rods come with lifetime warranties! Thanks for the help! JON
Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch rod TFO vs Redington ???

PM sent.

Fred
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The only issue that I have is with the Deer Creek switch. The ferruling is its Achilles' Heel. It seems to slip more than others. I have seen stress cracks in the finish in those areas. I do not believe the cracks were in the blank.

No comments on the Redington.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM

zslayer is on a distinguished road

I am about to purchase a new TFO, the make some awesome rods.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM

sopo bj is on a distinguished road

I am torn between the two also! I do have a friend with the TFO switch with no complaints, I would love to hear some feedback as well...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Wait a few months and pick up the Z-Axis on closeout.

-Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Not to throw a wrench in the works here, but Allen's Spey rod line is pretty sweet and the Switch line coming out is from the same bloodline.... got to give them a spin (errr, cast?) at the Somerset show.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 04-05-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

I have had the deer creek 5wt. for a couple years. One of the best rods I own for the money. Never had a ferrule problem. Great feel on the cast and good fish fighters. The 5 wt. has handled a 12lb steelhead for me. I really don't believe in switch rods as a legitimate all day single hander substitute, but as a baby spey they are great. You won't be disappointed with the deer creek series.