The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 PM

scottiecoach is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Recommendation

I am looking for a less expensive rod to use on a small creek with limited casting area. I am thinking about a 7'6" 4 weight maybe...any suggestions? Any specific type of action I should look for to aide in casting short distances with a short rod?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Rod Recommendation

Hi Scottycoach,

I think you will find the Temple Fork Outfitters will meet your requirements at a very good price. Take a look at the 7'9" Finesse model in a 4wt. If that is too much money take a look at the Professional model. You need a rod with a slow to medium action for short accurate cast where you may not have a lot of line out. Give the Full Creel a call at 800-811-8211.

Frank
Old 09-25-2007, 10:23 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 2-weight 6'6" for VERY small creeks. It casts nicely, but I haven't fished with it yet - I'll let you know. Mine is a Cabelas "Traditional" model which is now on sale for $49. I've read good reviews on it - we'll see!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

If you have limited casting area you may want to learn
how to roll cast and/or sling-shot cast. I personally have
never used that short of a fly-rod & Frank's suggestion to
contact The Full Creel is a good one. They can definitely
help in any type of rod selection.

Tie one On
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Keep in mind that even on the smallest, brushiest creeks, a really short rod can sometimes be a worse choice than a medium length (7'-8') rod. This comes into play because roll casting with super short rods is limited to pretty short casts. If you have no room for a back-cast, you are likely better off with a 8' rod than a 6' rod if you need to cast more than 20'.

I said all that to say that a 7'6" 4wt rod is a pretty ideal choice.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean about roll casts. I can only roll cast a short distance with a 6'6" rod, and it probably isn't the best thing for an all-around light-weight rod.

That said, I hypothesize that it is going to be perfect for the tiny creek I fish on my lunch hour. I can't roll cast there, because getting set up for my roll cast causes too much disturbance on the surface of the crystal clear and shallow water and spooks the fish. That short rod should keep my back cast under the tree limbs when I on my knees casting to the pool. Definitely a niche situation and a niche rod. We will see, I'm hitting the water at noon!

If I didn't already have a 4-weight, I would be tryng out that TFO Finesse that Frank mentioned, or maybe one a bit longer (for the streams I fish).