The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 05:02 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default G.Loomis Pro4x

looking to set up an 8 weight specifically for freshwater Bass mostly pond fishing & mostly popper/topwater flys. I tried this rod in 9 weight and liked it but could only cast it indoor and limited with the stores line. I did like it alot comapred to the scott A4 but I'm curious what other folks think where I'm not too familier with Loomis rods haveing nver owned or even fished one.

I guess in a nutshell is my choice was either sages Smallmouth rod, Ross's version of the sages 7'11 bass rod the firestik I think the name was, Loomis pro4X, scott A4 "because it didn't cast as good in the store @ 50' with mystery line doesn't mean its not better on the open water"

thanks..
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: G.Loomis Pro4x

If you're going to be fishing from a boat, the short rods might be best, as they'll aid accuracy and fish landing. If you're going to be on a bank, and potentially have obstructions behind you, I'd go with one of the 9' rods.

A buddy has the 8wt Pro 4x and has been very pleased with it. His favorite 8 is a Loomis Pro1, but wanted something that travels better. He says its pretty fast and powerful, but still functional for shorter casts.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Any idea what the price tag is on the Pro4X?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the posts,,, the prices range from 335.00 to 365.00 depending on what you want, US made I'm told and still has the lifetime warranty. they look really cool too with that drab light green color.

as for me I use a canoe and fish from the shore,, I'm thinking to stick with my original idea and go with the Pro4x I've been searching for reviews and all has been really good.

thanks T