The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tajue17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default you winston owners,, what reel balances on the 5wt B2X

I just bought a New (used) 8'6" Winston 5 weight B2X and I love the rod, I'm throwing wider loops on the back cast maybe because of the shorter rod but I need a better reel for it,, I have my learning reel a Fly start 2 and I love the reel but its a little heavy for this rod.

you guys that are familiar with this rod,, is there a reel out there that is a favorite with the 8'6" that balances with it perfect? I need to look into some online deals and can't really try them first especially loaded with line.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you winston owners,, what reel balances on the 5wt B2X

Not sure what the 586 weight is, though I'll guess maybe 2 1/2? Looks like the reel you have weighs in at 5.0 on the nose.

I can't speak to experience with the 5wt, but I have the same rod in 486 configuration. I had it paired with an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor II and really enjoyed how it balanced, though it was on the heavy side with this pairing. I am going to experiment this year and try this rod with a Super 4 (same 5.5 weight) and a vintage Hardy Lightweight to see which I like best, though I purchased the Super 4 specifically to pair with this rod.

The Battenkill MA reels have been replaced by the Access Mid Arbor Reels. The 486 weighs in at 2 5/8 oz. The Battenkill MA II weighs in at 5.5 oz. The Access MA III weighs 4.6.

Not sure what your price range is but I'll offer these suggestions:

Abel TR2 (Click & Pawl) (4.3) or TR3 (4.6) Creek Series or look for a Super 4 (5.5)

Galvan Rush R4 LT (4.8) R5 LT (5.2), Spoke S4 (4.05) S5 (4.45), Torque T4 (4.5) T5 (4.8)

For a lighter weight reel, you can't go wrong with Hardy Lightweight (3.2) or Princess (3.9) assuming you are looking for a click & pawl reel.

Lots of Lamsons would give you a lighter balance as well. Litespeed would be the lighter offering 1.5 (3.45) 2.0 (3.70), Konic heavier but lighter on the wallet. 1.5 (4.7) 2.0 (4.9)

Ross Evolution LT 2 (4.2)

Food for thought anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

It's difficult to go too light on this rod, I have the 9' and it weighs 2.75 oz, I assume the shorter length weighs a little less, and feels a little lighter because of the shorter length as well. I think most of the modern high end reels are made to balance with the current high end lighter rods. You'll want something that weighs in at 4-4.5 oz to really get that weightless feel on the back end of the rod. That would be reels like the Galvan t-4, Orvis Hydros III, Ross Evo LT2, Lamson velocity II. IMO you really want to be less than 5oz on this rod or you will notice the heft of the reel. Not that it will throw off your casting or have any reel deleterious effects, but you will notice it. I'm using an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III on mine and it balances very well. As far as good closeout deals right now, if you look quick you can get a BLA II on the orvis website for $139. They are great reels, and are priced right even at full price.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 AM

hey thanks for the posts.. after compring the reel weights on to the Flystart 2 which is on it,, I want to check out a Nautilis FWX 3/4 its a 3.25" reel same as the fly start and if I do ever go down to 3 or 4 weight I can still use this reel and it weighs in around 3.6oz. so loaded up with 5# line it should lighten up the back of the rod a bit and I can back it with Gel Spun for more backing where its the smaller reel and just in case I'm blessed with that huge Brown trout or salmon (pond stocked) on my 2lb tippet and a drag so light its like a free spool.

I am still looking into the Abel trout series and and the Ross's and did find a store I can put these on athe rod and see how they feel,, my price range is around 350 but I could sway up or down,,, I really would like to include a spare spool with that for the same deal the naulilis would be 345.00 for both a L.A. reel and spool...

thanks for the posts.. T
imxer likes this.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I happen to have this same BIIx 8 1/2'/#4. While the Nautilus FWX you mentioned would be a perfect ballence with this mushy, hingy but pretty little rod, its performance would far excede anything you would likely employ this small stream only rod to do. I recommend a spring and pawl reel with charm like an older Orvis CFO III or similar Hardy Lightweight or Marquis series.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I would say you want a lightweight, classic, small-arbor reel with that rod -- either a CFO III or a Hardy LRH would be ideal. The mid-and large-arbor reels tend to be heavier, as do the killer drags, and you don't really need a heavy drag for trout if you've got a palming rim. I've got an Orvis CFO III on my (older) Winston WT 8 1/2' 5 wt and it's lovely. Another choice might be a Red Truck Diesel 3/4 or an old Hardy Marquis. (I like the older made-in-England CFOs better than the current ones with the perforated rims, but that's purely an aesthetic preference.)
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I happen to have this same BIIx 8 1/2'/#4. While the Nautilus FWX you mentioned would be a perfect ballence with this mushy, hingy but pretty little rod, its performance would far excede anything you would likely employ this small stream only rod to do. I recommend a spring and pawl reel with charm like an older Orvis CFO III or similar Hardy Lightweight or Marquis series.
Aw man! This reads like a review done from a shop somewhere near Yellowstone.
A dry fly rod is, for the most part, supposed to be on the soft side. I use the 9', 5 weight BIIx for dry fly fishing on some mighty big rivers with no problem whatsoever. I guess I could underline it a weight or two and have to horse it to make it work like the too-stiff rods that were all-the-rage nor so long ago but why? With a smooth stroke you're going to find that rod to be real versitle with loads of range, from up close to tossing the entire line with ease. Horse it and you will lose.

Oh yeah, which reel?
I haven't been reel shopping in quite a while but would take a good, hard look at the timeless Hardy )I use a L.R.H. Lightweight when not using the Charton 8340C) but if I were in the market today that Nautilus FWX would be high up on my list when going by the specs.
Go light. You have a gem of a lightweight rod on your hands so compiment it with a light weight reel.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

SA System 2 4/5 L weighs in at 4.1 oz and balances that rod nicely I have one on another Winston five weight and think highly of those reels.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
hey thanks for the posts.. after compring the reel weights on to the Flystart 2 which is on it,, I want to check out a Nautilis FWX 3/4 its a 3.25" reel same as the fly start and if I do ever go down to 3 or 4 weight I can still use this reel and it weighs in around 3.6oz. so loaded up with 5# line it should lighten up the back of the rod a bit and I can back it with Gel Spun for more backing where its the smaller reel and just in case I'm blessed with that huge Brown trout or salmon (pond stocked) on my 2lb tippet and a drag so light its like a free spool.

I am still looking into the Abel trout series and and the Ross's and did find a store I can put these on athe rod and see how they feel,, my price range is around 350 but I could sway up or down,,, I really would like to include a spare spool with that for the same deal the naulilis would be 345.00 for both a L.A. reel and spool...

thanks for the posts.. T
I've got the FWX 3/4 that I use on my 4wts; the spare spool is loaded with WF5 for a rod about same weight as the BIIx. I've got about 60yds of backing on there with teh WF5 line on it. That's an awfully light reel and balances nicely with the very light 5 wts. The 5/6 FWX is only .2 oz heavier (3.8 oz!) than the 3/4. Unless you plan on using the reel for rods smaller than the 5wt I would go with the 5/6 model for your 5wt; the extra size spool give you speedier line retrieval and a normal backing capacity of 100 plus yards.

As for the Abel TR, or the other click pawl reels mentioned...there are numerous other threads where you can check out the friendly disagreements on their usefulness or lack thereof. It is my opinion, that the LA centerline disk drags offer a performance advantage. You will find many others who agree. CFO, Hardy marquis, etc., look great on cane rods or custom builds. People like them because of the nostalgia that they evoke, and perhaps for the utilitarian feel that they have. I don't think anyone can honestly say that they offer a performance advantage...they offer an aesthetic advantage.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 AM

people keep downplaying this rod,, mushy? not sure but I can put 80' of line with this thing casting further than the silly 3 forks flyrod It just replaced.. throwing big buggers and streamer stype stuff of my own creation. I did have to slow my stroke BUT i think for me it forced me to fine tune my casting and not only is my distance better but my accurace is better too so thanks for commenting on the rod again..

thanks for the reel recommendations, I run the drag very light on this almost not even feeling the tension, but its mroe to keep the reepl from backalshing when stripping line out so drags not my "reel" concern. I'll look into reels you guys mentioned,, I also should of mentioned in my 1st post is I need a reel that changes spools easy with no tools or loose parts (caps/screws- loops, super series able's)

thanks for the posts and I will check out some of these tips, T

Last edited by Tajue17; 04-02-2012 at 07:17 AM.