The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM

nc on the fly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to nc on the fly
Default What rod?

Hey guys I've been in the market for a couple new fly rods. I already ordered one for small streams the Orvis Superfine 1wt 7'6. Since my mom passed she left me with some decent money. I just need help on a big water rod since I live in the smokie mountains anything 4-7wt 9' will be good I just dont know what rod or reel to get. My max spending limit is $1700. Any help will be apprceitated.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What rod?

With a price line like that you should get some interesting replies. Regardless of how much you could spend if you would like to know what I would buy feel free to PM and I'll tell you how I would get it done.

I'm not a fan of seeing exactly how much I can pay for quality gear but I love quality gear. This dichotomy has led me to some great fly rods and reels.

Ard
attila likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your mom's passing. You have my condolences.

As for something in the 4wt to 7wt range, that's pretty drastic. 4 or 5 wt implies that you'd be fishing lighter lines, smaller flies for lighter weight fish. 6 or 7wt implies that you'd be throwing larger flies, heavier lines and heavier fish.

What might help get you some specific product info is to let us know what type of species you're targeting, where you're fishing for them and what kind of flies you anticipate throwing at them.

Another suggestion: If you have a quality fly shop that's close in proximity, I would recommend going to test cast rods as well as pick their brains on what might work. Even if you don't buy that day, you can get valuable from them as to what they would suggest and then bounce that off of the board for their thoughts.

That's a very healthy budget you have to work with, you could probably buy a couple of outfits or one of exceptionally high quality with funds leftover (assuming you're not looking for bamboo rods).

Good luck on your hunt and enjoy the fun that comes with it.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM

6-7wt is about right. In North Carolina we have delayed harvest which is where they stock the fish but its catch and release only. They stock it with brooks browns and bows from 8" to 16" range but by now they have got pretty big. The flys I usually throw are 14 - 16 blonde stones and right now march brown dry flys. We also have catch and release fly fishing only which has some pretty big fish in it since it is right below the hatchery some fish in there are pushing 25"+. Any help is great.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc on the fly View Post
6-7wt is about right. In North Carolina we have delayed harvest which is where they stock the fish but its catch and release only. They stock it with brooks browns and bows from 8" to 16" range but by now they have got pretty big. The flys I usually throw are 14 - 16 blonde stones and right now march brown dry flys. We also have catch and release fly fishing only which has some pretty big fish in it since it is right below the hatchery some fish in there are pushing 25"+. Any help is great.
Well, this is just my opinion but some others also may think a 7wt is much more rod than you need for 8"-16" browns and brookies on dry flies. I've never caught the 25" fish but I've caught them pushing 20" on a 5wt and had no problem with them. For the typical flies, and typical fish that you described I personally would be using a 8' or 8'6" 4wt, or a 9' 5wt at the most. Unless you choose to chase those 25" fish all the time, then you may need to do some serious streamer chucking with a 6 or 7wt rod. I do all of my dry-fly fishing on 4wt rods and have landed plenty of fish in the 16"-20" range; I never felt under gunned with a 4wt. Maybe you would want two rods??? It would be awfully hard to target thos 25" trout with a 4wt rod and the size 2 streamers that they eat, and it would be awfully hard to fish for 7" brookies with a 7wt. If I were you I'd get a 8'4wt, and a 9' 6wt. You'd have the versatility to do just about whatever freshwater fishing you would want with a quiver like that.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Thank you sir. Any companys you would suggest?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Well, this is just my opinion but some others also may think a 7wt is much more rod than you need for 8"-16" browns and brookies on dry flies. I've never caught the 25" fish but I've caught them pushing 20" on a 5wt and had no problem with them. For the typical flies, and typical fish that you described I personally would be using a 8' or 8'6" 4wt, or a 9' 5wt at the most. Unless you choose to chase those 25" fish all the time, then you may need to do some serious streamer chucking with a 6 or 7wt rod. I do all of my dry-fly fishing on 4wt rods and have landed plenty of fish in the 16"-20" range; I never felt under gunned with a 4wt. Maybe you would want two rods??? It would be awfully hard to target thos 25" trout with a 4wt rod and the size 2 streamers that they eat, and it would be awfully hard to fish for 7" brookies with a 7wt. If I were you I'd get a 8'4wt, and a 9' 6wt. You'd have the versatility to do just about whatever freshwater fishing you would want with a quiver like that.
I have to agree. For 8"-16" trout a 7wt is WAY over what you would want considering you are going to throw at them. Much like what Ausable has said, a 5wt can easily handle a 20inch fish. I've probably caught a couple close to or slightly over that in my day on a 5wt with no issue.

For nymphing, small streamers, dries I might consider a 9ft 4wt but this is also dependent on what size stream you are fishing as well. If they are small streams, you may want to go shorter in the 8'6 or 8'0 range.

A 6wt will get those #2's out there without the overkill.

If you were going with one rod only, I'd consider a #5 or #6 and steer clear of the #7. I just don't see evidence thus far of that need. Lighter line typically is best suited for more delicate presentation. Now if you want to pull double duty and fish for bass, you might want a #7 but a #6 should get the job done as well.

I'll again make the statement that you should check with a local fly shop to see what they most often recommend to their customers. Or, if you have a fishing group in your area, you should check with them as well. The idea here is to get a feel for what most users in your geographic region, who target the same fish you are going after are using. Heck, you might want to go out fishing and ask some of the folks you see out there on the water what their preferences are.

Hopefully somebody from your general locale will chime in with more specific advise.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thank you sir. Any companys you would suggest?
Well now, that's like asking a bunch of good ole boys what the best truck brand is... I've tried and used alot or different rod manufacturers and I can't swear by any of them over the other. There are far too many factors to consider. I've fished with Orvis, Winston, Sage, Scott, TFO, Redington, and have not found any of the high end rods to be dissappointing. They are all different, but I don't think there are too many BAD rods for sale at premium prices. You'll have to get to a few fly shops and try some out. For a 4 or 5 wt rod to fish dry flies with I would be looking for a more medium action rod but your taste and casting style may differ. For a 6 wt to target big trout with streamers, I like a fast action rod.

My honest opinion is that you don't NEED the top end rod to get a fantastic rod. For example, I got a chance to cast the Winston BIIIX ($725), and the Winston GVX ($495) side by side and I can't honestly say that one will perform better than the other in my hands. My Scott 8'4wt A3 has an MSRP of $325 and it throws dry flies as good as anything I've ever tried. You get prettier/flashier rods at the $700 price, and there is nothing wrong with that either. You should love your fly rod because of how it fishes, and then if possible because of how it looks also
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 PM

I'd like to thank you fellers for all your help i just got back from the shop. I decided to get the 5wt 8'6 Orvis Access rod with a Mirage reel. Once again thank you all for the help.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I'd like to thank you fellers for all your help i just got back from the shop. I decided to get the 5wt 8'6 Orvis Access rod with a Mirage reel. Once again thank you all for the help.
Glad you found something you liked, those are very forgiving medium-fast rods and very versatile as well. My brother in law has the 9' Access so I have fished it a few times. I can't say anything bad about them except they aren't technically "top of the line". You couldn't convince me otherwise though in a blind test. Orvis has the best warranty service, and that rod is made in Manchester VT. Great choice for your needs.