The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default R.L. Winston

Was thinking about picking up a R.L. Winston passport 7'6'' 3wt. I already have a Orvis Clearwater 8'0'' 5wt, Just wanna know if any1 uses R.L. Rods and how's the performance over Orvis? Orvis being my 1st fly rod
Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

They just go by "Winston." A lot of folks fish Winston Rods.

The passport has some very favorable reviews out there. It will probably be a significant upgrade from the Clearwater.

-Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 PM

troutchops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: R.L. Winston

It's not one of their USA made rods, but has received some nice reviews. I have a few Winston rods and love them.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

If you want some great rod reviews and another opinion, check out George Anderson's "Yellowstone Angler". He's a well respected authority on the topic.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I suggest trying it first. I have Winston rods that are among my favorites, including an older 2 piece 4wt WT, and others that I tried and did not like. Each rod in any rod makers inventory has its own personality and I suggest making sure it matches yours.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have been using Winston Rods since 1975, when my first Winston purchase was a 4wt. , 7 1/2' "Stalker" SF made fiberglass rod, which I still use...WT's and BIIX's along with the original IM6's are among my favorite rods...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Rods are as individual to taste as women. We all can agree what looks good, but once we have to live with it a while........

I love my Winston BIIt, but I can't say that all Winstons suit me. I agree find one and cast it.....if you like it, buy it from the dealer....keep him in business.
troutnut4 likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
I have been using Winston Rods since 1975, when my first Winston purchase was a 4wt. , 7 1/2' "Stalker" SF made fiberglass rod, which I still use...WT's and BIIX's along with the original IM6's are among my favorite rods...

PT/TB
The WT is just a fun rod to cast. I bought mine about 10 years ago and it is still one of my favorite 4wts.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Don't confuse Passport and Clearwater with their company's real rods. Winston and Orvis design and build rods and both enjoy strong brand loyalty but you are not really buying a brand but a rod built by them...not to their alleged specs in some Asian mass production factory. If cost is a principle factor, look for a used rod of your choice rather than a price-point fake rod.
mrfzx and Mrtrout like this.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Don't confuse Passport and Clearwater with their company's real rods. Winston and Orvis design and build rods and both enjoy strong brand loyalty but you are not really buying a brand but a rod built by them...not to their alleged specs in some Asian mass production factory. If cost is a principle factor, look for a used rod of your choice rather than a price-point fake rod.
Totally agree, I have three Winstons, a B11t 8.6ft #4 an early DL 4 8ft#4 superb dry fly rod, real classic, and a 9ft #6 B11x for the still waters.
Each one is different obviously, but all suit me.
Some say they are Marmite rods, "you either love them or hate them" but a proper home built Winnie is a joy to own and fish with.
If it were me, I would look around for a nice used Winston, they are hard to find, but worth the wait, IMO.
S.